Building a DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

mother_russia

Solid State Member
I am esentially trying to build a dvd player that I can copy and store all my dvds to. I am going to buy a small basic computer box that will be only large enough to house the fastest dvd drive I can find (for quick copying), a 300-500gb hd, and the few basic other parts. What would you recommend for other components such as motherboard, video card (i need somthing that is going to output high quality video to a television or moniter), sound card (I'd like to output to surround sound as well as standard stereo if possible), and anything else? A complete list of all the components necessary to make this work would be appriciated as well as what OS you would recommend (obviously it will need to be able to run a dvd copy program such as Easy DVD to DVD Copy or DVD decrypter). I was thinking linux just because all I need the computer to do is play and copy dvds, I want it to boot as quickly as possible, and I don't need or want all the things that would come with windows (but maybe windows would be best?). Input appriciated, thanks.

Yes, as I am looking around I see that there are a few "Media Center" type boxes that come with the power supply and/or motherboard with actual video and sound outputs already built in. These are quite small and very nice looking. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom