Building computer- Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

scar2th

Beta member
Hi, I'm looking to build a computer for the first time for around $800, don't really mind if it's a little bit over. I don't have much knowledge on the subject but what I primarily want is a computer that can stay cool and smoothly run wow/bf3 and maybe play a movie at the same time. Here's what i had in mind:

Case/Power Supply: Not sure. Is it ok to get a case with a built-in power supply or should I buy them separately?

Together: Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Separate: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Trying to decide between i5 and i7. I want something to work well but at the same time I don't want to buy something that exceeds my needs.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Internal Hard Drive: Don't care much for room just want something fast and reliable.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory: Again, just want something fast. Does higher memory make a significant difference or is 8gb plenty for what I'll be running?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Motherboard: Really know nothing about this lol.

Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Video Card: I'm going to be using 1080p TV as a monitor if that means anything.

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

All input is greatly appreciated. I know a lot of what I said probably made no sense but I have little experience when it comes to computer hardware. Is everything I listed compatible? Am I missing anything? Thank you for reading :)

BTW, is there a site without mail in rebates?

That antec comes with a good power supply already.go with the newer core i5 2500k processor.change the mother board along with processor. (Socket 1155)8gb ram is plenty.i suggest you get a modular power supply along with a seperate case.mail in rebates are just icing on the cake, if you want to buy the parts at full price at other sites go ahead.

That antec comes with a good power supply already.go with the newer core i5 2500k processor.change the mother board along with processor. (Socket 1155)8gb ram is plenty.i suggest you get a modular power supply along with a seperate case.mail in rebates are just icing on the cake, if you want to buy the parts at full price at other sites go ahead.

I updated the CPU and motherboard.

I wouldn't drop that much on a case with an $800 budget. Its personal preference of course, but there are cheaper cases that work just as well for less and you can spend the balance improving other aspects of the build.
If you want the option later to overclock your processor then I would get a different motherboard, I've read that the LE version is not terribly OC friendly.
Also, do you need an optical drive? CD/DVD burner, Blu-Ray player/burner?

Suggestion:
CPU $220 i5 2500k (same).
MB $135 (w/MiR) Asus P8P67 (not LE).
HD $65 WD Caviar Black 640GB (same).
PSU $70 (w/MiR) PC Power and Cooling 650w.
RAM $60 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 (slight upgrade).
GPU $200 (w/MiR) PNY GTX560 Ti (big upgrade).
Case options/suggestions $50
CM Elite 430 or (w/MiR) CM HAF 912.

Comes to exactly $800 w/o an optical drive ($20-25 for a cd/dvd burner), left it out since you did.

I wouldn't drop that much on a case with an $800 budget. Its personal preference of course, but there are cheaper cases that work just as well for less and you can spend the balance improving other aspects of the build.
If you want the option later to overclock your processor then I would get a different motherboard, I've read that the LE version is not terribly OC friendly.
Also, do you need an optical drive? CD/DVD burner, Blu-Ray player/burner?

Suggestion:
CPU $220 i5 2500k (same).
MB $135 (w/MiR) Asus P8P67 (not LE).
HD $65 WD Caviar Black 640GB (same).
PSU $70 (w/MiR) PC Power and Cooling 650w.
RAM $60 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 (slight upgrade).
GPU $200 (w/MiR) PNY GTX560 Ti (big upgrade).
Case options/suggestions $50
CM Elite 430 or (w/MiR) CM HAF 912.

Comes to exactly $800 w/o an optical drive ($20-25 for a cd/dvd burner), left it out since you did.

I changed the motherboard. Looks like the RAM you suggested was the same as the one I had. Still unsure about the case/PSU and I'll likely get a better GPU but would like to stay with EVGA. Thanks for the suggestions :)

RAM I suggested is slightly faster, 1600MHz vs 1333MHz for $5 more.

The GTX460 is on the recommended system specs for BF3 so it should suit your purposes, just not sure if "recommended" means you can play on max settings. If you want to stay with EVGA then stick with that card. Just for reference here is the graphics performance list.

RAM I suggested is slightly faster, 1600MHz vs 1333MHz for $5 more.

The GTX460 is on the recommended system specs for BF3 so it should suit your purposes, just not sure if "recommended" means you can play on max settings. If you want to stay with EVGA then stick with that card. Just for reference here is the graphics performance list.

Ya sorry, you were right about the RAM.

I do apologize about my first post. i was on my phone and for some reason the formatting didn't stick.

anyways, here is a similar unit with a nice rebate, modular design, and about same wattage unit. not sure about the platform, but the internal is another Seasonic design. (very good choice by the way.:thumbsup:)

XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
I know you don't like rebates, just a suggestion

Every time I build a system I regret not going modular when setting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom