building a computer, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanyhc

Beta member
hey guys, i really appreciate the help...

im building a computer, i want it for gaming and i make flash websites, so i want something that will last.

im trying to keep the computer right around 1200... this is the build i have right now:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...tNumber=8131806&WishListTitle=COMPUTER+FEB+19

if someone could take a peek at it, and maybe let me know...

1. does it all work together?
2. where can it be improved?

thanks a lot guys.

To save money, get an Abit IX38 Quad GT motherboard instead. it will overclock just the same, not to mention the 780i doesn't have onboard CMOS clear, on/off and reset buttons, which is uber..
Newegg.com - ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Change the power supply to this.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Retail
Or the Corsair 550 VX or 520 HX. You can't go wrong with any of them.

You can get crucial ballistix cheaper.
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Also, buy your Q6600 At clubit for G0 revision, make sure it is the OEM one.
get MX-2 thermal Paste (Or artic silver 5) and as for the heatsink:
TRUE (AKA Ultra extreme)
Tuniq Tower
Sycthe Ninja
Scythe infinity
Scythe mine

Any will do.

thanks a lot ste...

quick question:

if my motherboard supports ddr2 1200 and i put ddr2 800 ram in it, that wont be a problem right? i know it wont run at 1200, but i just mean is it downward compatible?

thanks.

You can set the RAM Speed to whatever you want using dividers/ratios and changing the front side bus, as in overclocking.

Update us on the changes you made to your list.

i switched out the PSU to the one you suggested.

i feel like i want SLI on the motherboard? what do you think, is it overkill?

and would it be a better idea to buy 4g memory the way i have it (4x 1gig) or just go 4g (2x 2gig) and leave 2 empty slots? (considering if one day i want to get to 8gigs ill have to ditch all 4x 1gig cards)

I don't suggest multi card solutions for either sli or crossfire.
Many games don't support them/it
Those that do rarely see double performence
Extra Heat produced
Near Double Power Draw

It just isn't worth it.

But if you insist and some will, wait for more X48 boards to come out, support for both sli and crossfire. So one can choose between sli/crossfire when different and better cards are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom