Building a Computer for Kids! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpm55

In Runtime
So, I was recently approached by a person at work about building a computer. She wants me to build a computer for her kids. The kids are young(6 to 8). She wants something that will surf the web and do basic activities(word, power point). She also wants to keep it inexpensive, but wants the computer to quick. I was wondering if maybe someone could help me put some options together for her.

Suggested price point is less that $400.

I am thinking a quad-core AMD
maybe integrated graphics or on-board graphics.

Please don't include office or operating system into price. Just looking for the parts. Decent not great.

PLEASE Remember it is for her children. Not her, she is just trying to keep them off her personal laptop and desktop.

tell her to go for dell, hp, whatever.

1. it's at a low price point. really low. (maybe a zotac booksize would be good here.)
2. it's for kids
3. when it breaks, and it will multiple times, she will come to you.

coming from experience, i would pass on this one.

that is what I was thinking of telling her. I cannot provide warranty and I will not fix-it weekly. But I figured I would at least get a list together and then explain her options.

integrated and onboard mean the same thing ;)

I would just get an ASUS EeeBox or similar. Everything in one little package. Be sure to keep this out of reach, though. It's not sturdy like a tower PC. Comes with wireless keyboard and mouse.

What is she using for a monitor? an EeeBox connects with HDMI. Hooks to the TV or LCD that has HDMI

I don't know about the monitor situation. She was just asking me to build the tower. She is decent with computers so I think she was planning on handling that. I will make the suggestion to her to buy a company pc. I love building, but for something like this I really don't want to have to deal with fixing it all the time. If anyone has any other ideas I am still open. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom