building a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyxus

Beta member
Hey everybody, I'm building a new computer, lookin for some advice. It will be for gaming and simple flash animation. I know I want an AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800, I have a good case and a good moniter. I'm looking to buy from New Egg because I've heard they have very low prices. Any advice for the other parts? ~Thanks

What is your budget? Do you need a keyboard and a mouse? Do you need speakers? How graphically intensive of games are you going to be playing?

my budget is around $1200 I don't need keyboard and mouse, and the speakers are taken care of. Its just the main computer that need to be bought and assembled.

also I want to have a computer that can play high graphics games like Battlefield 2. If I'm a little over budget then I'll scounge up some more cash.

$1200 should do you fine but there are a few questions to help us help you:

1. Do you want a motherboard with or without SLi?

2. Do you plan on using the power supply that you have with that case? If so, what make and how many watts? If you need to purchase a PSU, forget these questions.

3. Will you be doing any overclocking?

Here are some tips:

a. Don't go cheap on the PSU because it is the backbone of a PC. For a gaming rig to play the games you want to play you need a good power supply. Personally I wouldn't go less than 500 watts. You also need to keep in mind that the PSU needs to supply a minimum of 30A on the 12v rail.

b. 1 Gig of RAM will do you, but you may want to consider 2 Gigs.

c. High grapics cards are big $. But they certainly deliver. Check out the TONS of posts on graphic cards and that should give you a good idea.

d. DVD drives that have good reps are LG, Lite-On, and NEC.

e. If you are not overclocking then Value RAM is the way to go. Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, etc. are a few of the names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom