Building Budget Gaming PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Default Building Budget Gaming PC

Hi, first of all im from the uk so il be using '£'.

I want a decent Gaming PC for about £600. I dont know what type of things to get though i know 2 basic things.. (well atleast i think i do)

- I want a 3.0GHz proccessor, maybe better
- 2GB Ram

Thats all i know which i need for a decent gaming pc. I know i need a decent graphics card too. The type of games id play is things like
-CounterStrike: Soruce
-WoW
-Doom 3

Is that affordable with my budget?

Thanks.
__________________

Flexifoil is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Default

if you want a good comp at a good price, try going with an amd processor. you will get better performence. socket am2 or 939 would do the job.
__________________

__________________
AMD 3500+
1GB PC3200
ASUS Motherboard
WD 80GB
7900GT 256
goblue14 is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Default

Ok. But could i fit a 2GB RAM within my budget?
Flexifoil is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 164
Default

prolly, i dont know the us conversion but i dont see why you couldnt.
__________________
AMD 3500+
1GB PC3200
ASUS Motherboard
WD 80GB
7900GT 256
goblue14 is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
There and Back again
 
Nukem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,403
Default

If you don't want to build, you could do something like this and then upgrade the RAM GPU, etc... but it's a decent starting point to look for...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/95739/rb/21165372797

you can upgrade to this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114359/rb/21165427971

and RAM... personally for the games your playing... 1GB will hold you over. unless you get into COD2, BF2, etc.. then you might want 2GB but it's not really needed... (IMO anyway)
__________________



Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nukem
If you don't want to build, you could do something like this and then upgrade the RAM GPU, etc... but it's a decent starting point to look for...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/95739/rb/21165372797

you can upgrade to this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114359/rb/21165427971

and RAM... personally for the games your playing... 1GB will hold you over. unless you get into COD2, BF2, etc.. then you might want 2GB but it's not really needed... (IMO anyway)
Cool, ok. But what is COD2 and BF2.
Flexifoil is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 309
Default

AM2 MoBo:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...OTHERBOARD.htm

AM2 dual core CPU:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...with%20Fan.htm

RAM: (Get 2 to run in dual channel mode @ 1GB)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...R667%20DDR2%20(64x64)%20CAS4.htm

Video Card: (This one is kinda "over-the-top")
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...ICS%20CARD.htm

Optical drive: (non DVD burner)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0-%20BLACK.htm

PSU:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0fan%20PSU.htm

Case: (no PSU included)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...20-%20Black%20(No%20PSU).htm

This was just thrown together so that you could get an idea of what you might want. Shop for pricing!

Verify that it is all compatible, as I did not research it thoroughly.

NOTE: I know nothing about the website's reputation, I chose it because you are in the UK and the pricing is in Sterling Pounds.

The Vid Card is really expensive and will take up half of your budget. To trim costs, shop around and inquire about specs. You should be able to get a Nvidia 7600GT for about 60-100 quid (est.). They are excellent cards for the money and do not require their own power dongle. If you can salvage a case and an optical drive you could save another 50-100 quid.

Hope that this is helpful. Good luck!

P.S. I checked some of the links and they won't work...ughh! The CPU is a x2 3800 AM2. The PSU is an Enermax 600W.

All the components came from the same site....sorry they links don't work properly.
__________________
[SIZE=\"1\"]E6400 @ 3.4 , Noctua 120
7900GT @ 670/1680 , VF900
P5B-D 0711
2 x 1GB Patriot 6400 @ 425
WD SATA 250GB
VX2025WM
Neo HE 550
P180 / G15 / MX1000[/SIZE]
Syrillian is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
There and Back again
 
Nukem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,403
Default

Call of Duty 2 and BattleField 2. Two very RAM hungry and video demanding games. but since you have not heard of them, I'm assuming your not playing them.

but that is also why I gave you the link for a built system. something to start you off until you get on your feet so to speak and learn what's out and what d.e.d.
__________________



Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Syrillian
AM2 MoBo:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...OTHERBOARD.htm

AM2 dual core CPU:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...with%20Fan.htm

RAM: (Get 2 to run in dual channel mode @ 1GB)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...R667%20DDR2%20(64x64)%20CAS4.htm

Video Card: (This one is kinda "over-the-top")
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...ICS%20CARD.htm

Optical drive: (non DVD burner)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0-%20BLACK.htm

PSU:
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0fan%20PSU.htm

Case: (no PSU included)
http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...20-%20Black%20(No%20PSU).htm

This was just thrown together so that you could get an idea of what you might want. Shop for pricing!

Verify that it is all compatible, as I did not research it thoroughly.

NOTE: I know nothing about the website's reputation, I chose it because you are in the UK and the pricing is in Sterling Pounds.

The Vid Card is really expensive and will take up half of your budget. To trim costs, shop around and inquire about specs. You should be able to get a Nvidia 7600GT for about 60-100 quid (est.). They are excellent cards for the money and do not require their own power dongle. If you can salvage a case and an optical drive you could save another 50-100 quid.

Hope that this is helpful. Good luck!
Thank you ever so much. Will that Proccessor run fine with CSS and Doom 3 etc. Plus is it worth getting 2gb ram or is 1gb fine?

Plus that graphics card looks awesome. But would this do the job> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114359/rb/21165427971

Thank you ever so much.
Flexifoil is offline  
Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nukem
Call of Duty 2 and BattleField 2. Two very RAM hungry and video demanding games. but since you have not heard of them, I'm assuming your not playing them.

but that is also why I gave you the link for a built system. something to start you off until you get on your feet so to speak and learn what's out and what d.e.d.
Well, i heard of them both but not the abrivitated version. I may get them but i think CSS and Doom3 would do me fine?
__________________

Flexifoil is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.