build it my self - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default build it my self

ok i am thinking on putting together a pc by my self the thing is i have never done it before

i have happily put ner parts in to pre built systems (HDD, gpu and ram) and can do the hardware side pretty easy but its just everything else

so here i am asking if there is any step by step guides or anything that would help me set up

just so any one knows i have not got the parts yet but its NOT going to have a floppy of a cd-rom but it it going to have dvd-rom and dvd-rw with xp or vista

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
Mobo ~ Gigabyte GA~P35~DS3R Rev 2.0
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
HDD ~ 2 x 500gb western digital drives
Ram ~ 4GB worth (4 strips) of OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Platinum Rev 2.0
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

OS - Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: build it my self

someone will come along with a guide to putting it together.

but there isn't really anything to putting a system together. I would say the only tricky parts that you really have to pay attention to are making sure the ram is seated in the right slots, make sure you put the right amount of thermal paste on, and make sure you have your front panel wires in the right places.

other then that its like blinking your eyes.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
someone will come along with a guide to putting it together.

but there isn't really anything to putting a system together. I would say the only tricky parts that you really have to pay attention to are making sure the ram is seated in the right slots, make sure you put the right amount of thermal paste on, and make sure you have your front panel wires in the right places.

other then that its like blinking your eyes.
yeah thats true but i got that nailed down near as best i can (i hope)

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Agreed with Peter. Only really "difficult" parts are finding out which front panel headers are which (which can be found out by looking at the motherboard manual), and then matching them up to the case's header wires. Getting the heatsink/fan mounted for me was difficult because I had the AF7, which has the same clip-style as the Intel coolers, which are kinda tough... Other than that, you just gotta make sure you have everything seated tightly, and all the power connectors hooked up to the right connections. I've only built 2 myself, but they were both quite easy and fun to do.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

agreed, and steve, im sure you know this and have heard it before, just take your time, don't take shortcuts and it will post first try
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Agreed with Peter. Only really "difficult" parts are finding out which front panel headers are which (which can be found out by looking at the motherboard manual), and then matching them up to the case's header wires. Getting the heatsink/fan mounted for me was difficult because I had the AF7, which has the same clip-style as the Intel coolers, which are kinda tough... Other than that, you just gotta make sure you have everything seated tightly, and all the power connectors hooked up to the right connections. I've only built 2 myself, but they were both quite easy and fun to do.
how was the bios set up for you i have never done anything in bios before thats what i dont know what to do

i also had a lot of problems re-installing xp on a system, it happily cleaned the hdd but i could not do the partition so

thats the 2 things i would be stuck on

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

Old 01-06-2008, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well you don't need to do anything in the bios unless your overclocking, or setting up the boot order, which on most boards is a separate option.

as far as installing xp, thats probably the least of your worries, just follow the directions. you don't really need to worry about making a windows partition, just install it on your drive, make sure you format your drive first, and then it will install and you'll be golden.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

thanks pete and carnage i appreciate it

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

no prob. if you get into it and you have any doubts in your ability to do something, stop working, and hop online and post your question. and i speak from experience. when i was putting together my first pc i wasn't sure how to put on thermal grease, but i thought too much was better then too little so i put enough on to comfort myself, and it turned out that i fried my mobo.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
no prob. if you get into it and you have any doubts in your ability to do something, stop working, and hop online and post your question. and i speak from experience. when i was putting together my first pc i wasn't sure how to put on thermal grease, but i thought too much was better then too little so i put enough on to comfort myself, and it turned out that i fried my mobo.
what a comforting post

well to little is bad but to much is to well something to remember for when i build

the thing is with me is i worry to much and specially with the money i will put into it

My new pc spec's ~

Case ~ nexus caterpilla
CPU ~ Intel Q6600
PSU ~ Corsair 750TX
GPU ~ GTX 295

Closed Thread