Build for my grandmother - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Build for my grandmother

My mom wants a computer for my grandmother. She was using a computer with windows 95 so as long as its faster than that... She will basically just be using it for the internet. We have keyboard and mouse and speakers. We thing her CRT monitor might be broken. The cheaper the better. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Build for my grandmother

Is there a price range you have in mind? An LCD monitor can cost you upwards of $150 (17" square or larger), if you need a new monitor. Also, if you need an operating system, that'll run you up another $100 or more. Let us know what sort of range you have, but it seems like the cheapest current technology would be sufficient for her, based on your description.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Send a message via MSN to Ric0h

You can get linux for free. and even shipped to your home for free.

You would probably be off better if you just buy an old used computer.
WD 640 and 22x DVD burner
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

that actually is a good idea. usually you can get an old dell demension 8400 for around 180-200 without a monitor. also just lurk around on craigslist.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My mom didn't give me a price range. How much would just an extremely basic build be? I think my mom might be able to get an OS from someone.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

with monitor probably like 300-400. it would be tough to find parts that would be low budget though..
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

You can get super cheap AMD builds for like $200-$300, and for a monitor, you could always pickup another CRT for $50 or go with an LCD for $150+.

It might even be better looking at dell since they have pretty cheap builds that come with LCD's.

http://dellstore01.dell.com.au/publi...650538&sr_no=1

Expensive for what it is, but it would be a lot less hassle. You could probably pick up even cheaper pre builts somewhere else.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

and add any optical drive and a monitor that would fit the needs and you're good to go. also a psu is needed.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

In Maroon's build there is a case psu.

Maybe add another gig of ram? They are pretty cheap.