Is this build good for current-gen online multiplayer gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson7777

Beta member
I put the below specs together on cyberpowerpc.com. Will this be a good desktop computer for playing current-generation multiplayer games online? Am I missing anything? Would you guys recommend that I add or subtract anything? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Configuration

• *BASE_PRICE: [+895]
  • CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case
  • CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • CS_FAN: Default case fans
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: CoolIT ECO II-120 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
  • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
  • HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • IEEE_CARD: None
  • IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub [+29]
  • KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
  • MB_SRT: None
  • MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • MONITOR: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Sceptre E246W-1080P (23.6" Viewable)(Black Color) LED Backlight, Built-in Speaker, DVI, HDMI Input [+248]
  • MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID,2 3 PCIe Gen2, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 3CI (All Venom OC Certified)
  • MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
  • MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
  • NCSW: None
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
  • OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
  • OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOFT1: Microsoft® Office® 2010 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+105]
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: None
  • TEMP: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USB: None
  • USBFLASH: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
  • VC_PHYSX: None
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
  • WNC: Zonet ZEW1642S IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+29]
  • _PRICE: (+1477)

My personal opinions going down the list:
CPU: Games aren't going to benefit much/at all from hyperthreading, go for an i5 2500k.
IUSB: I would see how many ports you already get, not many peripherals require 3.0 yet, might save $29.
PSU: Have not heard anything good about XtremeGear, though you have no choice. Also 700W is more than you need for this rig.
GPU: GTX 550 Ti... if you're paying almost $1,500 they should be serving up something better.

Will it be good for current-gen MMOs? I'd say adequate as is, depending on what games you're talking about.
I would seriously consider building your own though. Spending $1,477 should get you a lot more computer than this.

since he has a large monitor, office, peripherals and an os its only a bit more. but if you can play with lego's you can put together your own system.

it's not that hard. you can also save some money by cutting out the factory o.c. and the sound reducing foam. if the wireless card is necessary, you probably dont have to get that super 300 Mbps wireless card unless you are transferring large files within your own network.

What GPU would you recommend with this configuration?
If you are paying this much you should be getting at minimum an Nvidia GTX 460/560 or AMD HD 6850/6870.
I am not suggesting paying more for a better card, I'm saying it should be included in the current price.

Also, not sure what you use MS office for but it may be unnecessary.
There are a lot of free programs that do the same things, I personally use OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org).

There are some other tweaks you could do to cut cost in addition to what Jason and I have already suggested.
Before I go poking around more in this build though, I would strongly suggest looking through Slaymate's link.
If you have the time you can also watch this video: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube.

Building your own computer allows you to optimize it to your needs, with quality parts, and none of the fluff.

If you are paying this much you should be getting at minimum an Nvidia GTX 460/560 or AMD HD 6850/6870.
I am not suggesting paying more for a better card, I'm saying it should be included in the current price.

I don't think you are getting a very good deal at all. The prebuilt PC companies always REALLY try to get out cheap in at least one area. It's how they make money. That is why most everyone you'll find here has custom built machines. As Roark said, you should be getting a
GTX 460 for that price.

Before I go poking around more in this build though, I would strongly suggest looking through Slaymate's link.
If you have the time you can also watch this video: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube.

That is a very good introduction to building. I found that gem while getting some good resources together for a friend. The other parts are worth watching, too.
Building your own computer allows you to optimize it to your needs, with quality parts, and none of the fluff.

Exactly. Those pieces of "fluff" are where they put the highest markup. P.S. Stay CLEAR of Alienware. They have the highest markup of all. Why would you pay an extra $1000-$2000 for a few LEDs?

As a recap, Roark hit this one on the head. I hope that helps. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

-Draco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom