build day - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: build day

so, did you use the adapter to power up your drive, or use the standard molex connector on the drive? i plugged power into the molex connector. it just did not seem right to put power into pins and wires meant for data. the adapter does not say power on it. but the power cable that comes with it lines up perfectly to it.

XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

All adapters like that need to be powered up as SATA and IDE does not provide any voltage. Hence why the adapter cable and connector are both there.

I use this to convert my SSD to IDE for my 98 box.

Not sure why you even bothered with the adapter. SATA DVD drives are as cheap as the adapter is.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well, the computer is up and running. and it does not recognize the dvd drive. so do i unplug the molex power connector and just use the one in the adapter, or use both power cords? if i knew it was going to be this much trouble, i would have just got a new drive. this is my '' salvage anything you can '' biting me in the back side. AGAIN!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

Already answered that question. You need both plugged in.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

SORRY, I didn't catch the both thing on the first time i read it. thanks for putting up with me.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

At least you bought a good one. I went through 3 before I found one that would work right.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well, it was 80% luck, 20% looking for a solid one piece unit. after i connected the second power cable, it seems to work great. i have not yet tried to copy and burn a disc yet though. to much stuff to do setting up a new computer. i may take the cpu cooler back off, and reapply thermal paste. it took 4 tries to get all 4 corners of the stock cooler locked into place. and of course i pulled the heat sink away from the cpu every time. i still dont know why it gave me such a hard time. i downloaded hwmonitor and kept checking the temps as i was on it. it never got above 100 degrees f., but it came pretty close after about an hour of playing minecraft (with the side of the case off still). speaking of which, the difference between a core duo @1.86ghz and an i5 quad core @3.2ghz is totally amazing. even the colors are more intense. and i am still running a vga cable to the display. i didnt have much choice with the old one. it will be interesting to see what it looks like with an hdmi cable connected to it. // the only real trouble left (I HOPE!) is trying to warranty register the mommyboard (as my little girl calls it). MSi's website will not work. i have tried several times throughout the day. not to mention that when i tried to download a manual for the m.b., i got an owners manual for a laptop! tomorrow will be loading programs and files that i saved to the external hard disk to it, to get it back to "normal". thanks so much for all of your help.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru

100f is cold for a CPU. Change it to Celsius.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

ok, that is 37-38 degrees Celsius. since i have no idea, what is the upper limits of "normal" cpu temperature? and how hot does damage set in at?
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Build Guru

Way above that, you're fine.

Access to my Plex PM me.