Build or Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyr

In Runtime
I need a computer for general uses such as internet, email, downloading anime, ect. and I want to know, should I buy a cheap Dell or emachines or something like that, or should I build from scratch? I don't care about playing modern games or overclocking, just need something to get me online.

~thanks

Dan DeVille said:
Everyone here will tell you to build. You know what you're getting when you build it on your own.

Exactly. Building your own is the way to go even if on a small budget. Not only will you know what parts your computer is made of and to what extent you can OC or tweak them, but you'll also gain a better understanding of what makes your system tick.

I would personally build a rig over buying one.

if you dont play games or OC i guess you could go with a dell if you want the experience i say build your own, though dell has those good cheap 300 dollar ones

I'm going to say build. You can insure that all of the components in the computer are of good quality. It's just better, all around, unless you only have a $300 budget.

Ryan

I was thinking about buying one of those $300 Dells because I don't think I could configure a machine as good as that for $300. I would have to buy a copy of Windows and that alone is $90. Then I get a 17" CRT monitor for $130. That leaves me only about $80 for the PC itself.

I do want it to be able to play some games but nothing even remotely current. Games like Quake 3, C&C Red Alert, Half-Life1, ect. Will one of those $300 Dells be able to play those games maxed with no probs?

These are the specs of the Dell,

-Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB)
-Integrated Intel GMA 900
-Memory - 512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
-Hard Drive - 40GB ATA100
-48x cd-rom drive
-A215 2.0 speakers
-Windows XP Home
-USB Keyboard
-No monitor (I'll buy one somewhere else)

-$309 after rebates

Two questions,
Is it worth the money?
Can it play old school games like mentioned above?

These are the requirements for DOOM 3

3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required -
100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon® XP 1500+ processor or higher
384MB RAM

The Integrated Intel GMA 900 fits the requirements for video card.

I do not know where the Celeron D fits in. Is that better then a P4 or worse?

That system should play those games well. I have something like that right now and i play those games. I also have no idea about the celeron D but i have some kind a celeron (dont know which one).

I built mine, spent 1200 on parts, and its soo ****ing sweet. Havent gotten a game yet, but when i do ill tell you guys how she plays it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom