Build for a buddy, not high performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

In Runtime
All he wants is a decent computer, that he can get on the internet with and mess with music on.

I know what all I need, but does anyone have any reccomendations?

I also was never good with ram. How do I make sure the ram is compatible with the rest of the build?

I'd like to have it built for like $300 (only the tower).

He really doesn't need it for much, so I'm not going to put much money in performance.

I agree with Hikari. Onboard video is fine if you don't game much/at all. I wouldn't have upgraded mine, except I wanted two outputs.

I would knock some off the CPU/MB though and get a bigger hard drive. Hard drive space is nice to have.

320GB should be plenty, and it's cheap to upgrade later on, considering 1TB drives can be got for like #60/$80 nowadays. Not really worth sacrificing CPU power IMO.

I wouldn't skimp much more on the CPU/mobo...with that combo you already have the AM3 capability, and you only save a few bucks by getting a cheaper CPU.

320gb will be fine for now. It's loads easier to add a HDD later than upgrade a motherboard or CPU.

Got a bit of a different build here for you.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 AM2+ / AM3 Ready AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Total comes to $331.48 after shipping.

In this build you get a better CPU/mobo combo, bigger HDD, and a better case. Slightly over budget, but it's worth it.

The onboard video will be good enough to play basic games at lower/medium resolutions.

Also, the motherboard is upgradable to AM3, which takes care of future upgrades.

nice build hikari, agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom