the bug bites again...the GPU bug

not seeing too many 680s for sale that are under 400. much rather buy new if im paying the same price. had too many gpu failures to really trust a used one.

You wouldn't be paying the same price. I've seen several 4GB 680s in almost new condition go on forums and CL for 275-300 due to people upgrading to 780s or higher. Every single GPU I've had in the past 5 years has been used, not a problem. Just gotta be smart about it. Thing to remember here is a 770 is the exact same card as a 680.

Edit: BTW I'm not trying to sell you on the idea of using used gear. It's just a personal deal for me because really I'm a cheap ass and if I can get the same thing cheaper from a reliable source I will.

Last edited:
on that note, I see that gigabyte has their windforce 290 on newegg now. for 580.00.
if the prices drop to normal as in 425 or so, I will very much consider one of them. my 460s are gigabyte windforce cards and I have been very happy with them.
Ive decided to just wait it out and see what happens after the new year. my 460s will get me thru for awhile, and for petes sake I haven't even built my new rig yet. kinda wanna see what kind of increase I will get in bf3 with just cpu/mobo/ram overhaul, TBH. im going to give the 460s away anyhow (be lucky to get 100+ for BOTH)...so I don't see the harm in waiting for a price drop. I just really wanted those free games. sadface.

Because of the demand from mining I don't expect to see the prices drop anytime soon. I've decided to just go for a 780 unless I hear news on Maxwell soon.

Also take into consideration, the heatsinks on these newer cards they are putting on are much larger than the ones on your 460s. I would avoid them unless you don't mind PCB sag after a few months.

what I read on the mining is that the difficulty is becoming so high that gpus are becoming inefficient. but I really don't know anything about it, sooooo...
you mean avoid what heatsinks? those other than reference?
the way the HAF case is designed, the weight of the card(s) is carried on the back panel mostly, not on the motherboard, ie the screw terminals are just a tiny bit higher than the slot so weight rests on them.

but in any event, like I was saying earlier, I don't really fancy a radeon in any event. so I could very likely hold out for the 780 from MSI, it wont take me long to save another 150 bucks into my fold-up money pile (old timers will understand fold up money).

what I read on the mining is that the difficulty is becoming so high that gpus are becoming inefficient. but I really don't know anything about it, sooooo...
you mean avoid what heatsinks? those other than reference?
the way the HAF case is designed, the weight of the card(s) is carried on the back panel mostly, not on the motherboard, ie the screw terminals are just a tiny bit higher than the slot so weight rests on them.
There is more than bitcoin now, so people snatched the cards up to litecoin mine or whatever to hurry and get the quick good units before they get inefficient again.

I avoid nonreference for several reasons, but that is one of them. I've had 3 cards with those large heatsinks on them and each one suffered from PCB sag including the dual slot DCU2. The problem is the fact that there is no solid plate going across the card the weight of the heatsink causes it to bend and sag at the GPU. I'm not saying don't get them, just giving a fair warning.

Because of the demand from mining I don't expect to see the prices drop anytime soon. I've decided to just go for a 780 unless I hear news on Maxwell soon.

Also take into consideration, the heatsinks on these newer cards they are putting on are much larger than the ones on your 460s. I would avoid them unless you don't mind PCB sag after a few months.

oh you mean gpu pcb sag?
the msi card has a metal reinforcement bar to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom