the bug bites again...the GPU bug - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default the bug bites again...the GPU bug

ok so now that I have my 4670k, g45, h90 and ram in my possession...
scrolling through newegg I see that they have the MSI gtx770 2gb on sale (matches my mobo plus its "gaming" like my mobo so it gets a small increase in performance). hrm.
its priced at 319. if I use my preferred account before the 31st, I will save an additional 30.00.
hrm.
which would bring my price to 293.98, including (not egg saver no no no) shipping.
and it still is bundled with arkam, splinter cell and AC black flag, which newegg list as 160.00 worth of games. which would essentially mean I am paying about 130.00 for a card that will straight MASSACRE my sli gtx 460 set up.
this is right at what I really think I could get away with spending...(have 200.00 cash saved, and have yet to sell my q9450, 750sli, 6gb ocz ddr2 800, sd1283 and 2x 1gb gtx460's. which should easily leave me with enough left over to buy that Samsung ssd that I would like as well.
I have decided to hold off upgrading to the bigger Korean monitor indefinitely (love my acer 24"), because I just don't see the "need" for it ATM. so monitor will be 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 @60hz.
I do not see the prices of the r9's going down any time soon, and in any event, im still hesitant on buying a radeon anyways. I just prefer NVidia, my own experience/opinion. I also do not see the "need" for me to drop 500 bucks on a 780 (she who must be obeyed would probably choke me, plus that's more than I spent for my entire system upgrade...just don't see the logic in spending that much on GPU).
The only hesitation I have is future SLI vs the 4gb...but with a single monitor, I don't think the 256 bus can make use of 4gb anyhow. and all single card benchmarks I can find between the two show little or no performance difference at 1080p. and honestly, I don't really care to sli, even though I have been happy with my 460s. and with 3 kids, its not like I have time to sit down and game for 4 hours anyways...still playing BF3, would like to try the 3 free games, and eventually will buy BF4 when the bugs are worked out (LOL), and origin puts it up for 30 bucks again.
so, what do yall think?
can anyone talk me out of it? any reasons I SHOULDNT do it? because if its a good choice, ima go ahead and pull the trigger before midnight tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

Default Re: the bug bites again...the GPU bug

Just saw a 780 on the egg for 509.00. If I didn't already have 2 670's I would bite that bullet and get this.

Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 03G-P4-2783-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
Just saw a 780 on the egg for 509.00. If I didn't already have 2 670's I would bite that bullet and get this.

Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 03G-P4-2783-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
yeah but that's just a little past my budget. would really like to keep it 350 or less.
also the 30.00 off is for new preferred accounts anyways, which they will not extend to existing accounts, even on a case by case basis (bad business IMO).
still a good deal even without the 30.00 off, I think. lol now I have till tomorrow at midnight to talk myself out of it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
There and Back again

Look at the expense as future proofing. How long it's been since you last did a major upgrade? You have been happy with it so far... So if you bite, whatever it may be, you'll be happy a few years from now as well.

Just rough mind you, but I'm sure you've seen this:
PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

woo man its been a long time since a major upgrade. think ive had the q9450 since 09, maybe?
that's a good point. I have been happy with my setup so far, so yeah, I think that I will be happy 2-3 years from now with my major overhaul of cpu and components, as well as upgrading to the 770.
I would indeed see the expense as future proofing, but really with my family growing I cant justify it even for that. three years ago? no problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
There and Back again

You can always use the kids a forced labor to help pay for your hobby.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

lol totally. maybe rent them out to people thinking of having kids as a deterrent LOL
Old 12-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well here's my first priority of concern, the memory bus does not dictate whether or not the GPU itself can utilize all that VRAM for textures. There is plenty of bandwidth both in the 256bit bus AND the GPU itself to completely utilize the massive frame buffer. I would know, because my copy of Skyrim loaded up a 4GB 680 and it ran it smoothly when my 580 SLI could not handle it at all (damn pesky 1.5GB). In case you're wondering, GTX 580 SLI overclocked is way more powerful than a single 680. Lack of VRAM in that case

As to whether you should get 2 or 4GB, that is up to your wallet. If you ever see yourself moving beyond 1080p anytime soon I recommend 4GB now, and get another 4GB card later. Thing is, consoles now have a lot more VRAM to content with and PC is lead platform for a lot of AAA devs. That extra VRAM should be getting used rather soon.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well here's my first priority of concern, the memory bus does not dictate whether or not the GPU itself can utilize all that VRAM for textures. There is plenty of bandwidth both in the 256bit bus AND the GPU itself to completely utilize the massive frame buffer. I would know, because my copy of Skyrim loaded up a 4GB 680 and it ran it smoothly when my 580 SLI could not handle it at all (damn pesky 1.5GB). In case you're wondering, GTX 580 SLI overclocked is way more powerful than a single 680. Lack of VRAM in that case

As to whether you should get 2 or 4GB, that is up to your wallet. If you ever see yourself moving beyond 1080p anytime soon I recommend 4GB now, and get another 4GB card later. Thing is, consoles now have a lot more VRAM to content with and PC is lead platform for a lot of AAA devs. That extra VRAM should be getting used rather soon.
im thinking I will probably stick with my 1080 monitor for some time. the only other game I am thinking of buying in the near future would be titanfall.
the 4gb would push me over my budget, but im not discounting it totally. im pretty set on the 2gb version at this point. the price is right. but I kinda cringe thinking I may regret buying a 2gb card in a couple years. but really in a couple years I can pretty much buy another card lol im not that broke.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well that's up to you. Personally if I was in the market with cash for a 770 I would be looking for a used 680 4GB instead. But, I'm ok with used parts and 680s sell cheap now since the 770 isn't that much.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote