Budget graphics card

You can just add it, but it can provide problems later in stability. Since you have a pre-built, you don't have the option to raise voltage where it's needed to stabilize the IMC under load. Either way, 8GB is plenty anyways and should the bios not provide the option to force 1600, it'll allow 1333 rather than 1066 with 4 sticks.

So would I receive greater benefit at 8gb 1333 or 12gb at 1066? I'm not much of a risk taker so I'd like to do this with the least risk of frying something. The 1600 is cheaper than the 1333 is the reason I was looking at it.

You won't fry anything, impossible to. Just having 4 sticks gives you more of a chance at IMC (that's the memory controller) instability because 4 sticks of RAM has a heavier tax on AMD chips from that era. The only way to get around this is by bumping up the voltage to the IMC, but since you have a pre-built you can't do this.

Basically what I would do, is just keep the other 2 out but keep them around. Run 8GB until you need the extra RAM. Odds have it, you won't because 8GB is plenty for any gaming.

So would I receive greater benefit at 8gb 1333 or 12gb at 1066? I'm not much of a risk taker so I'd like to do this with the least risk of frying something. The 1600 is cheaper than the 1333 is the reason I was looking at it.

I would throw them in anyway. If nothing else you can check and see that the memory controller is good. When I built my current rig I discovered that my original CPU had a bad one when it could not run RAM in dual channel.

I would throw them in anyway. If nothing else you can check and see that the memory controller is good. When I built my current rig I discovered that my original CPU had a bad one when it could not run RAM in dual channel.
I wouldn't. From what it's sound like the board will lock his RAM at 1066 to prevent any stability issues. Much better to have only 8GB with 1333 or 1600 than 12GB at 1066.

One last question before I start this evening. Will I need to back anything up? I assume since I'm not replacing the hdd it'll just re-boot like normal after putting in the new stuff. Just want to make sure.

I split the 8 pin into two four pin connectors to plug into the motherboard. Is the loose 4 pin going to be okay hanging so close to the motherboard or shoulp I split the wire?

Back
Top Bottom