Budget Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phlegm

Beta member
I've been browsing around trying to find a mid-price gaming computer, figured this would be the place to ask. This is what I'm looking at so far:

Motherboard:
Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus Review - Page 1 - Introduction

Processor:
INTEL BX80552641 - Pentium 4 641 3.20GHz Processor - 3.20GHz - 800MHz FSB - 2MB L2 - LGA775 Socket -

HDD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250820AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Seeing as I'm extremely new to the computer building world, I'm assuming I've left some parts out. The total here comes to about $500 bucks, which is in my price range. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse already, so I just need the machinery and I'm good to go. Any suggestions are much appreciated, as well as a little bashing here and there.

I currently have the option of buying an HP Pavilion 524c for extremely cheap, possibly 100-200 dollars, so would it be worth it to buy for parts? The motherboard still uses A-Sockets and most of the other aspects of it are sub-par, but I was thinking more for the floppy drives and such.

Floppy drives aren't expesive, Period. You could spend 6$ to get a new one, Dvd/cd Drives aren't that expensive either, if thats what your wonderin?

Socket A Mobo, outdated and useless now, even a 30$ sempron CPU computer could out perform it. Thats how good technology has gotten...

Use the amd build that b1pal made and if you want to save a few more bucks you can go with the biostar 550. after rebates you shoul dbe at like 526

How upgradeable are those two different options? I would like to be able to simply replace each part as it becomes obsolete, as opposed to ditching the whole system due to compatibility issues.

Don't get Intel, get AMD socket AM2 and you'll be able to get the new giants that AMD will release, Kuma and Agena, where both will blow Core 2 Duo to some place in space. :D But that don't be for another few months. <.<

socket Am2 has a future and isn't going anywhere soon, so yeah you would be able to just add more ram, or switch video cards in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom