Budget Do-Anything build (gaming/work/HTPC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
Well, I was considering buying an upgraded laptop for $1100. Now, however, I could get very similar if not better performance making me a $500 desktop, and use the extra to get me a cheap portable laptop so I get the best of both worlds and save money!

Here is my system. I am going to be getting Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit for $20 through my university. Any changes that will lower the cost and keep performance? I have a few combos involved, so I'll put that data in here as well:

Case/PSU combo $67:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Enough Amps for my system? My GPU is going to be a 4830.

Mobo $64:
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU/GPU combo $156:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

CPU Heatsink $30 after MIR:
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Memory $50:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD $41 (will add more in future):
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical Drive $23:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Total + Shipping = $480

If you could put together a system as great as this, and save $25, give it your best shot! Otherwise don't recommend changes if it will sacrifice quality and only save $5.

I would avoid that motherboard. I had it and it died after 6 months of running at stock and never overcloking. I just got the Biostar TA780g to replace that Foxconn and am in the process of installing it right now.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I think I'll keep my mobo. One bad experience out of a lot of good ones is expected. Plus, if it were a trend I don't think it would have 270 reviews with a full 5 Egg rating (72% 5, 18% 4).

I will definitely switch the cooler though. Don't know how I missed that one...

I am going to be purchasing a computer tonight based on this thread.
I have a few changes/ questions.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

this is the cpu I was thinking I would rather go with. (as opposed to the brisbane 5400) being its only ten dollars more expensive and seems to be the best amd x2 for the price.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
again for a few bucks almost double the space I dont see why even with a 500$ budget this wouldnt be the obvious choice.

I will also be purchasing an aftermarket heatsink to go along with it being it comes with one but reviews stat its no good for oc'ing.
let me know what you think.
thank you.

That is the newest and best X2 available. The only reason I didn't choose it is that I didn't really need the extra improvements and I wanna use as little power as possible to save more amps/watts for my GPU.

I take back my earlier comment about the foxconn board. It seems my craptastic Crucial ballistix were the problem yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom