Budget A64 Advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
Im looking for Advice about the A 64's....

Im going to keep my eye on them over the holiday season. However Im looking for a Budget 64 setup, but im not perfectly clear about a few things... noob questions i guess you could say.....

Like... for example witch of these would perform better?... socket 754, 3500 ... or socket 939 3200 ?

and... witch cores should i watch for?.. for example, witch of these would perform better?... socket 754 3200 clawhammer 1mb cache, or socket 939 3200 venice 512k cache ??

*2 things to keep in mined conserning the CPU, I dont need a HSF i already have one, so i could also go for oem.... also, im not shur if or how much of a performance diff there might be between 754 and 939, but i dont need it future proof, i wont be changing the system at all.
-------------------------------------------------

Also need Motherboard Brand recomendations...
*note - im not overclocking

I already know, DFI and MSI are the popular brands for socket 939... but besides that i know nothing.... if there are other Brands that are just as good but could save me money i could use the advice... it doesnt need to be overclockable.
---------------------------------------------------

Im thinking about trying to keep the CPU+MoBo $200 give or take for the budget.

and im planning on pairing it with the PCI-E 6800GS... going to see if the price on those will drop bellow 200 in the upcoming months.

Thx in advance...... i originally didnt plan on getting a A64, but the older technologys just didnt drop in price enough to make them worth while... which is why i ended up a A64 noob, i never planed on getting one b4.

Definately go for socket 939...754 is being phased out and I would highly recommend not building an entire new system off of a 754 chip. Get a DFI Lanparty mobo. Good choice on the 6800GS graphics card too, that is one heck of a buy. Don't wait too long to buy it though. I hear that after Christmas, they are going to discontinue the 6800GS as it is really only a holiday treat. Go for a s939 3200 or 3500. Go 3800 if you have the cash.

Thx for the input....

but remember, im not going to be upgrading this system at all.... so if the only reason to not go with 754 is because its being phased out, that realy doesnt matter to me... its performance comparied to 939 is more important to me, as i have no clue how thy compair.... like are they pritty much even in the budget range? or does 939 actually perform better because i has more pins?

Im also turn off by DFI for budget because they are kind of pricey... keep the suggetions coming though and ill weigh them all in at the end.

Also definatly give me links or more info about you hearing of the 6800GS being discontinued... because *IF thats true, i might have waited to long... any links? or can anyone else Confirm?

make sure you're looking at the right DFI Lanparty...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152

115$ right now, Its a 10 hour sale so hopefully you read this and can get it in time. I think its only 10$ cheaper than the original price though (and free shipping).

Thats a really good price for a really good motherboard IMO. I dont think this board works with SLI unless you mod it, but it doesnt sound like you're doing SLI (two video cards).

I wont to stay around or under $200 for Both combined.... CPU+MoBo.
I doubt i need that DFI.

i also know that s754 does not support Duelchannel, but that doesnt realy offer much of a performance boost, does it? kind of like how Raid0 doesnt realy give any advantage to desktop users. am i wrong?

I would apreaciate it if someone could answere my compairison question that i posted in my first post about s754 vs s939.

EDIT: since im going to look for deals over the Holidays for these parts i guess the budget at this point would be closer to $250 maybe, and hope the parts go on sale.

I've got a A64 757 3200 and on a Asus K8V-X mobo with 1g of ram and it flies. cannot fault it. the only problem i have is my hdd is full and need a bigger one!!! It was my first build and the only comparison is with other pc's bought from the shops and it blows all them away. I was also looking at the skt939 but i thought the extra money wasn't worth it as next time i upgrade i will probably build a new one.

jolancer said:
I wont to stay around or under $200 for Both combined.... CPU+MoBo.
I doubt i need that DFI.

i also know that s754 does not support Duelchannel, but that doesnt realy offer much of a performance boost, does it? kind of like how Raid0 doesnt realy give any advantage to desktop users. am i wrong?

I would apreaciate it if someone could answere my compairison question that i posted in my first post about s754 vs s939.

EDIT: since im going to look for deals over the Holidays for these parts i guess the budget at this point would be closer to $250 maybe, and hope the parts go on sale.

Dual Channel is far superior to single channel.

p.s. Your grammar sucks. Try to clean it up and more people would be willing to help you.

I think his grammar is fine. There's a few typos here and there, but at least he types out complete thoughts, which is more than some people do around here.

If you're going with socket 939, and you want to stay under the $200 budget, there's only one possible solution I see. The cheapest 939 processor is the 3000+ at $135, and the only motherboard with PCI-E that you can afford with the remaining $65 is the Foxconn one I've listed below. The reviews on Newegg look OK for this board so far, but if you didn't mind sticking with socket 754, you will have more options for your motherboard.

-----------------939-----------------

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1GHz FSB - $135 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

Foxconn NF4K8AC-RS-1.0 - $65 + $4 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186082

-----------------754-----------------

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo - $125 + $2 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104231

MSI K8N NEO3-F - $70 + $2.50 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130493

Oligopoly said:
Dual Channel is far superior to single channel.
Dual channel is superior... but i doubt by that much.. remember, performance doesnt double because you run it in duel channel... id bet duel channel performes more like cutting your latency in half.

anyone on this forum with dual channel can test and see.... just run Doom3's timedemo, then remove a ram stick, or stick it in a slot that runs single.. and re-run /timedemo demo1 1 ...and see what the difference is.
------------------------
Thx for the help beardo526, but iv already went with the s754 bellow... 3700 oem, Gigbyte pci-e.

because newegg has that deal, im going to try reselling the Flash drive so... 210 - 55 + 75 = $230

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103461

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128308

I didnt even think id get any more replays to this topic cause no one usess s754.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom