Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So my neighbor just gave me her old computer, and I'm trying to decide what to do.

Specs are:
Intel E8400
Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2
XFX 5750
Apevia X-Jupiter
The PSU is junk (420w Apevia) and its running 2GB of RAM.

I currently have a Dell Vostro 200 (specs in sig) which can take the 8400 and the two sticks of RAM.
Trying to decide if its worth swapping the CPUs and getting a quad LGA 775 (Q6600 maybe) and 2 x 2GB RAM for the one I received.

I have $250 in Amazon gift cards, and/or willing to pay ~$100 out of pocket (DDR2 800, why you so expensive).

Edit - Think I can get Win7 for ~$30 through school, so I guess getting an LGA 1155 board and a cheap SB (i3 2100) is also a possibility.

What do you intend to do with the machines?
Probably going to use the Dell as a media machine/backup since it already has all my movies on it.

The new one is going to be a low-impact gaming rig.
Source engine games like TF2/L4D2/Portal, maybe something that will further stress the GPU.

i have a q6600 on an asus board (can go find model later) with a HSF and 4 GB ram left over from my last upgrade that im looking to get rid of... also have a 6600 gt and 7900 gs that could go with it.

if youre interested, i dont know how to to these types of trades...

I'll keep it in mind Jason, although there has been a little hiccup.
Been fooling around with OCing and the MB doesn't like to keep my settings on reboot (double boots actually).
If I can't OC on it I'm probably just going to grab a new MB, and if thats the case it'll be either 1155 or AM3 (torn between i3 and 960T).

BIOS flash fixed the problem, easy as pie getting it to 3.6GHz.
Temps hit 84°C (stock cooler) running P95 though, so going back to 3.0GHz.

I think what I'm going to do is move the 8400 to the Dell.
Buy a new CPU/MB/PSU and re-use the HDD/GPU in a new rig.

So new question:
For a PSU is 20w going to make or break the performance?
I will eventually move the 5750 to the Dell, so I want to replace the 300W PSU in there.
The 5750 + E8400 are currently running off a 420W Apevia PSU (link), that I don't know if I trust.
Newegg is currently selling the Antec NEO ECO 400W for $30 (link).

30 solid amps versus 28 (14 + 14) questionable. You should be good with the Antec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom