A boy and his dream....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglez

In Runtime
Alright, so I need some major help with a computer.

Ill explain my situation

I have been wanting an XBOX 360 for a while since most of my friends have one and the games are phenominal IMO. My brothers computer has not been working since christmas
because of an outdated graphics card (no longer has drivers availible). We have a GeFore 8800 PCI Express Graphics card for him and a 22 inch LCD monitor that he got for christmas
that he has not been able to use for a long time.

I need to know which parts to get in order to get this new hardware working. We CANNOT return the hardware because of holiday deals and we need to update alot in his computer in order
to get it running this hardware

If I figure out what parts my mom needs to buy for his computer, she will give me the same amount that she spends on the parts to me for an XBOX 360.
SO i figured id turn to my favorite computer tech forums for help.

I know we need to get him a:
New motherboard with PCI Express
Maybe a new processor (he has a AMD 2000+)
and probably some other stuff to get it running right.

I need to know what kind of motherboard would work and a cheaper one that may be reliable. This may be asking a bit much. I know. I just need to make his computer work and maybe impress
my mom. :)

Please, if you can, help me find what i need to get his computer to run this new hardware. It will be Extremely appreciated and may even make a boy's dream come true.

He has a A7N8X-X Asus X-Series Motherboard its an nForce 2.

I dont know anything about Motherboards or processors, all i know is that we need to get him a PCI-Express slot in his motherboard and a processor that is compatable with it.

Thanks guys!
Telll me any information you might need

If you plan on reusing the case, what size? I figure it is a mATX if it is a pre-built.

Definitely need a budget figure. Any low-end C2D would blow you away if you are used to a 2000+. You will need a hefty power supply to run the 8800.

Also, which model 8800 did you get for your brother?...because there are quite a few of them. GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra...

If I figure out what parts my mom needs to buy for his computer, she will give me the same amount that she spends on the parts to me for an XBOX 360.

okay, so let me get this right... how much you spend to get your brother's comp working, youre mom will give YOU towards an XBOX... yesh? well, if youre looking to get enough to buy one, then id put your budget at at least $250 yes? (the price of an 360 core system...)

thatll be enough for a decent motherboard and a new power supply... which oughta be enough to get you going.... but realistically, if he plans on really USING that 8800, hes prolly gonna need a faster CPU... so hopefully your budget is a little over 250, though we might be able to work out a board, PSU, and CPU for that... maaaaaaybe...

so another question is... do you want to stick with AMD, or go to a C2D CPU? AMD is solid, and isnt a bad choice at all, let me say... but if youre buying a new mobo anyways, you might wanna consider switching to intel... just for the lower prices of chips right now anyways... up to you tho :)

Telll me any information you might need

alright, were gonna neeeeeeed to know (so far what i can think of):
-for sure what your budget is
-AMD or Intel
-what model 8800 card you already have
-what power supply you currently have (prolly not enough and will need replacing, but maybe not...)
-what size your case is (ATX, etc.)

let us know, and well do our best to help you out :)

SO i figured id turn to my favorite computer tech forums for help.

always a good choice :D

(btw, the XBOX360... totally worth it haha) - RK

How much are you guys willing to spend on these new parts?

Id probably want to stay in the 100-250$ region if I can, again i dont know much of motherboards and processors.

b1gapl said:
Also, which model 8800 did you get for your brother?...because there are quite a few of them. GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra...

Its an 8800 GTS PCI-E. Sorry didnt specify that ;)

therascalking said:
alright, were gonna neeeeeeed to know (so far what i can think of):
-for sure what your budget is
-AMD or Intel
-what model 8800 card you already have
-what power supply you currently have (prolly not enough and will need replacing, but maybe not...)
-what size your case is (ATX, etc.)

let us know, and well do our best to help you out

Wow, thanks man :)
Lets see,
-100-250 id say
-I think we'll stick with AMD since we have never had problems, even with a 2000+
-8800 GTS
-Um, not sure, I am pretty sure it wouldnt beable to handle it tho, so i guess im looking for a power supply too!
-I have no clue, I will find out

Yes my mom will give me the same amount of money for an XBOX, so im going to research and do everything I can. You guys are my key :D

Wow, thanks for the product line up.

Yes im almost positive its a ATX since its just about the same size as my computer and mines an X-Infinity
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Retail

Now i have one question about that motherboard trotter,
the video card is an 8800 GTS PCI-E and it doesnt look like there are any PCI-E slots on that motherboard. Again i dont know motherboards very well, and the price range on that is perfect, and could even go a little higher i believe.

Please help, the fast i figure this out the fast i get my Xbox 360 :)

Also, do you guys suggest i get him some RAM like below? He has 512 and i am pretty sure that wont do anything for him will it. K thanks again guys

hmmm... yea, eaglez youre right... that mother board is AGP and doesnt have a PCI-E slot... good catch... unless theres a reason that trotter recommended that? hes a solid techie, so i dont wanna doubt him... but everyone makes mistakes...

anyways... going with his general idea, heres two more mATX boards that id recommend over that one... a little more expensive, but i think better:

my choice: Newegg.com - ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
or maybe: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

and yes, i recommend new RAM... from 512 to 2G is a noticeable difference and its one of the better things you can do for a computer to see a bigger performance boost... and those crucial sticks are first rate... unless you have extra money and want to step up to something a little faster... (800Mhz)?

anyone else have any opinion? :) - RK

My bad. I thought I had clicked for PCI-E only in the search. I was at work, so I'll put the blame on that.

Another board to consider would be:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
and, yes, it does have PCI-E...

The RAM he has is DDR, but the AM2's require DDR2. Plus his current RAM is probably PC2100 which is really slow. I went with the cheaper 533 RAM as this is not going to be a super-duper performance machine... in comparison to the 2000+ it will be greased lightning, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom