Bought some parts to upgrade my PC and now my monitor is blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance your PSU is on the wrong setting? If mine gets set for the wrong country or whatever that red switch is, the funs will run and the lights will turn on, but it won't actually boot.

Any chance your PSU is on the wrong setting? If mine gets set for the wrong country or whatever that red switch is, the funs will run and the lights will turn on, but it won't actually boot.

tried it on both settings, nada

also, tried both of the four prong connectors again, still nothing. :( anybody have any other suggestions?

also, as far as the psu goes, there is no way to check it as I only have that one and am too poor to get a multimeter or buy a new psu. But I do have another question. My old mobo was working fine, then after the first time I tried to upgrade my computer (install a new mobo and such, which didnt work) and I plugged everything back in from the old one it worked fine, but after trying again a week later I had the same problem with the old mobo (blank screen, no beeps) Does this sound like the psu somehow got screwed up when I was trying to upgrade to the new mobo or do I just have the worst luck in the world?

Drenfest and I worked on a friends computer together and from plugging the powerwire in the back and hitting the switch (too quickly) he shorted something inside the psu, so a quick trip to the store and back w\ new psu. got it up and running.

here is something I just thought of. I tried installing all the new parts to my computer the first time and I got what I am getting now (balnk screen, no bios, no beeps) so I put the old equipment back in and it worked fine. However after I tried it a second time the old equipment was doing the same thing. But if the psu was working the before I tried to upgrade and then still working after I tried to upgrade and put the old equipment back in wouldnt that mean that the psu is not the problem?
Also, I went to one of those wattage calculater sites and plugged in what info I had (which was the basic necessities, no cd or dvd players, and it also didnt count the monitor) it says that the most wattage I would need is 300. My psu is 450. So lets say my psu is functioning correctly (I am trying to borrow one from a friend to make sure of it) that would leave my cpu correct?

What is the make and model of your Power Supply? Not all 450 watt power supplies are equal. It's easy to put a sticker on one claiming any wattage amount.

With your old equipment the power supply probably isn't being asked to generate as much power as the new equipment needs. You can moan and groan all you want about it, but you need a new power supply.

well, just bought a new psu. its 650W, more then enough to power everything. And I am still having the same problem. tried it with both mobos, tried it with all the suggestions I found on here, and the monitor is still blank. I even made sure again that the monitor is working, and it is.

so does anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom