bought some new equipment, now computer dosent boot. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: bought some new equipment, now computer dosent boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Pull the mobo out of the case. On a cardboard box, Put ONLY 1 ram stick and the cpu in, connect the psu, remember to connect the 4/8pin in for cpu power, and then using a screwdriver jump start the power pins.
its not shorting out (tried it in case and on cardboard) and I only have one stick of ram in it already.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Get another cheap ram stick. Alot of times it says it;ll work, but doesn't really.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Get another cheap ram stick. Alot of times it says it;ll work, but doesn't really.
it isnt the ram. if it was the ram the computer would beep when i took it out.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I had the same problem. Historically, I've gotten used to having to populate the memory slots starting with the slots closest to the CPU and working my way away.
Six slots, three sticks of tri-channel
I followed this rule and everything was stone-dead.
So I looked in the manual and it told me to start with the slots furthest from the CPU.
Everything worked after that.

I hope your problem is as simple. I would read the manual meticulously. It doesn't make sense that your mobo - and its replacement - were both bad. Even bad RAM or other components tend not to leave a computer stone-dead. I once saw a lightening-struck modem kill a computer, and another time a bad graphics card killed it, but each had become damaged from abusive external forces.

At work, I tired to get a high-end graphics card to function on a Dell PC with inadequate wattage, but your specs look like they ought to POST.
Is there any auxiliary power for the graphics card that maybe isn't connected?

You've probably already done this... unplug everything except for the CPU, memory, hard drive, graphics, keyboard, mouse.
No USB, firewire, eSATA connectors, no DVDs, no fancy stuff. Not even any case fans. Like patonb said, better to remove it from the case entirely. The point is more to see if it'll beep and/or POST, not necessarily to boot. By being on a piece of cardboard, you eliminate electrical shorts, too.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

make sure your cpu is seated properly. is the fan plugged into the mobo? I think some mobos won't start without the cpu fan plugged in.

last thing i can think of is to test your cpu in a working system...

oh and pc speaker is connected properly as per the manual.. right...?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
I had the same problem. Historically, I've gotten used to having to populate the memory slots starting with the slots closest to the CPU and working my way away.
Six slots, three sticks of tri-channel
I followed this rule and everything was stone-dead.
So I looked in the manual and it told me to start with the slots furthest from the CPU.
Everything worked after that.

I hope your problem is as simple. I would read the manual meticulously. It doesn't make sense that your mobo - and its replacement - were both bad. Even bad RAM or other components tend not to leave a computer stone-dead. I once saw a lightening-struck modem kill a computer, and another time a bad graphics card killed it, but each had become damaged from abusive external forces.

At work, I tired to get a high-end graphics card to function on a Dell PC with inadequate wattage, but your specs look like they ought to POST.
Is there any auxiliary power for the graphics card that maybe isn't connected?

You've probably already done this... unplug everything except for the CPU, memory, hard drive, graphics, keyboard, mouse.
No USB, firewire, eSATA connectors, no DVDs, no fancy stuff. Not even any case fans. Like patonb said, better to remove it from the case entirely. The point is more to see if it'll beep and/or POST, not necessarily to boot. By being on a piece of cardboard, you eliminate electrical shorts, too.
Well, I got bad news for you, I have done the ram thing and the cardboard box thing, as well as unplug everything except the essentials. What I do have plugged in is: the atx 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors, the cpu, the fan for said cpu, the speakers, and the monitor. still nothing. and the mobo is not dead, everything lights up and spins like it should, it just dosent post or beeb or anything. I have tried it with the onboard graphics and the card, both with the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasaid View Post
make sure your cpu is seated properly. is the fan plugged into the mobo? I think some mobos won't start without the cpu fan plugged in.

last thing i can think of is to test your cpu in a working system...

oh and pc speaker is connected properly as per the manual.. right...?
i would assume that the cpu is seated properly as there is a lever that latches down when it is. and I cant test it on another system since I dont have another system and yes the speakers are connectd correctly.

im still grumpy

here is a question, after lookin at all the facts so far, do u think it may be the cpu itself? and is there any way to test it without getting a new system?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It would be easier to help you if you would tell us exactly what the parts are that you have bought. You say you just bought a 650 watt power supply, who made it and what is the model number. Not all power supplies are reliable. There are a large number of shady manufacturers that sell power supplies with inferior components and distorted specifications.

Your also listing 2G DDR 2 667 MHz memory. Once again what is the Make and Model Number. Just because a stick or 2 or more of memory works in another PC it doesn't mean it will work in any PC. Some motherboards just won't work with certain brands or more specifically the actual memory chips used on some sticks of ram just have problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Techie

I think to save you from wasting any more money, you need to go to a PC repair shop where they'll have a similar functional PC where they can test out all of your parts individually and tell you where the problems lies. Its either the cpu or motherboard, and less likely PSU and memory. Someone on TF recently said that a guy at a repair shop did that for him for free... not that likely you'll be able to find someone to do that for you for free, but it'll probably not cost you much... (ask first)
Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
It would be easier to help you if you would tell us exactly what the parts are that you have bought. You say you just bought a 650 watt power supply, who made it and what is the model number. Not all power supplies are reliable. There are a large number of shady manufacturers that sell power supplies with inferior components and distorted specifications.

Your also listing 2G DDR 2 667 MHz memory. Once again what is the Make and Model Number. Just because a stick or 2 or more of memory works in another PC it doesn't mean it will work in any PC. Some motherboards just won't work with certain brands or more specifically the actual memory chips used on some sticks of ram just have problems.
PSU: mushkin XP-650 650W ATX12V SLI Ready Modular Power Supply

RAM: idk at the moment, I'll look it up when I get home. but again, it isnt the ram, so this point is moot.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycopuppy View Post
PSU: mushkin XP-650 650W ATX12V SLI Ready Modular Power Supply

RAM: idk at the moment, I'll look it up when I get home. but again, it isnt the ram, so this point is moot.
Why can't it be ram?

I'm not sure all boards squeel if theres no ram at all.

The only other part thaqt can be dead is the mobo then.

Edit**

Seems many people have issues with this board and 2 ram sticks. Have you tried clearing the cmos, and running the 1 ram stick in any slot?

Closed Thread