blue screen... hard drive issue???

Dustinicus

Solid State Member
I recently replaced the mother board, power supply, and ram on my desktop. It was an ACER, but here is the list or upgrades;

AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7480D

MSI FM2-A55M-E33 FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Rosewill Stallion Series RD400-2-SB 400W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

From the research I did, and the feedback on the products, they all seemed to be respectable, and good quality parts.
----BUT----
Now windows will not load anymore, I tried running an XP install disk per directions and research, AND I tried to run the disk that came with the motherboard as per directions. All of the BIOS look as they should, and the computer will start up fine. But if I dont run the XP disk it gets to a screen that asks about running in safe mode, command prompt safe mode, last working configuration, or normally and all it does with any of them is start to load then flashes a blue screen i cannot read and restarts. The other blue screen I can read is one after i try and install windows, and it says there was some kind of error in the hard drive eitehr virus or other error (that dont make sense cause I formatted the drive about a week ago in anticipation of the new parts)
So in closing I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO! only other thought (one i would rather not do) is buy a new hard drive and upgrade windows, I just dont want to cause the hard drives I have are plenty big enough for my purpose, I like XP, and I dont want to dump another $250+ on parts i dont "need" per say...

thats it, sorry if i rambled at all, but i tried to give all of the information that I could to get the best help possible

thanks
Dustin

I recently replaced the mother board, power supply, and ram on my desktop.

That.

That's what's causing your blue screens. XP was installed on a different hardware profile than what you're using now.

Run a repair install of XP and it should fix it.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Back up any data that you deem important (either by hooking it up to another computer and copying that way, or by using a Linux LiveCD and copying it to an external flash drive or HDD).

I tried running the XP disk, and that is when I get the blue screen. it wont let me install it. the computer gets so far and then it flicks to the blue screen and restarts

The other blue screen I can read is one after i try and install windows, and it says there was some kind of error in the hard drive eitehr virus or other error

Last edited:
i dont know exactly the "code" off hand it just said that windows cant finish its installation because of a hard drive or virus, AND that it could not procede because it might damage the hard drive. I have not used any linux before and am unsure how i would go about it. if you could get me some links ill continue my research, and once im back home ill get the exact code that it is coming up with so i might better resolve the issue.

thanks for the responses guys
Dustin

:EDIT:
STOP 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
that is the code, i recognized it as soon as i looked over the list, and i have NO IDEA how to run this; chkdsk.exe <--i tried with command prompt with no avail, and even tried running an old win 98 cd to see if i could fix the issue...

what about a whole new xp cd, mine is a bit "used" and might be part of the problem??? is there any place i can buy a new one or anything???

--- :EDIT: X2 :---

AND AS FAR AS THE INSTALL GOES, i AM TRYING TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL, TOUGH IDE LIKE TO JUST DO A REPAIR INSTAL ON ONE OF THE OTHER 3 DRIVES THAT STOPPED WORKING SINCE I STARTED THE WHOLE FIASCO

Last edited:
Do you have a clean drive that you can format then try a clean install on?

If you have a friend with the same version of xp that you have a key for you can try using that. To be honest it would not be worth the money to buy a new copy.

For running a livecd check this link. It is a great skill-set to have in your toolbox for working on systems with problems.
Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

I would just run a fresh install of windows 7. Just don't erase your old OS when you do it so you can drag your files over later.

Last edited by a moderator:
i checked out your link, what exactly is ubuntu??? and i have another drive that was formatted about a week before i got my new computer parts, and its acting like the drives with os's on them. Plus i dont want to ujpgrade windows cause i got alot of stuff ide like to retrieve from my hard drives, and would rather not get them fdisk'd away

Dustin

Ubuntu is an Operating system, just like XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Doesn't seem to have even half the problems Windows has with crashing, and viruses, so its useful for finding out what is wrong with your main operating system :)

Back
Top Bottom