Blank screen on boot-up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Blank screen on boot-up

My friend is building a new computer. When we boot up the computer, nothing shows on the monitor and there are no bios beeps. I tested the CPU, PSU, and RAM (not all at once) on another computer and everything worked fine. The motherboard being used is a refurbished ECS KT600A. I swapped the motherboard with another, new PCChips motherboard purchased last night from Fry's and no luck.

When my friend originally built the computer, he changed the FSB jumpers. Just now, however, we set all the jumpers back to their original settings to no avail. We tried clearing the CMOS and reseating the RAM (there's only one stick and we tried the DIMM1 and DIMM3 slots) but neither worked nor changed the condition. Our last attempt was to disconnect all peripherals (specifically: hard drive, dvd drive, floppy drive, and the sound card; we left the graphics card, cpu+fan, PSU, and mobo connected).

The computer stays on indefinitely (AFAIK--we've only left it on for a few minutes). The specs are:

2800+ Sempron (Socket 462)
ECS KT600A (refurbished)
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
512 mb DDR 333 unbuffered (we checked the compatibility as far as unbuffered vs registered goes and it matches)
5GB 5400 RPM HD (can't remember the brand. possibly an ancient seagate)

Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

wow... It sounds like you covered most of it already... The only thing that stuck out in my mind was the lack of beeps. Usually this tends to mean its a mobo issue, however you have tried a new one. ( although in my personal experience, i have never bought something from Fry's that actually worked. )
It still could be the mobo.

do you have another video card you can try ?
do you know if your system speaker even works?
do you hear any fans spinning ?
does it power on normally other than no signal to monitor ?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

We tried another video card with no luck. The system speaker works because the case is recycled and the fans spin. It powers on normally other than no signal to the monitor meaning the hard-drives spin, the cd-drives spin, etc. I would say it's a mobo issue but we tested a separate, new mobo.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

lets test it... take out your RAM completely then try to boot it up... see if you get a beep then... if you don't... its the mobo. ( I know you have tested a new one from Fry's, but I don't have faith in anything Fry's sells )