A bit of introduction into todays GPUs

a.sprecic

Beta member
So, my 4 year old PC blew up because of a cheap PSU appareantly and now I need to buy a new one. It served me really well, may it rest in peace. So, now I need to get myself a new one and I always build my own PCs (saves me a bit of cash and I have more control of what I want and need) but since I bought that PC I pretty much just disconnected from the IT news so today I have no idea about the prices, ATI cars, NVidia cards, the CPUs etc. I got the hang of the CPUs but GPUs are a bit of mistery. So can someone just do a quick rundown of the ATI and NVidia cars, their general pricetags, perfomance vs. price etc. I already have everything planned but the GPU. An i5 (we'll see if I want Ivy or Haswell) , 1TB SSD, 750W Corsair PSU, 8GBs DDR3 and a motherboard that can support it all, couldn't care less which one. I plan on using it for Photoshop, Unity, Blender, GTA 4 and GTA 5, Watchdogs and maybe some other games if I like them enough. Oh, and my budget is about 750$ .Thanks in advance.

If anyone wonders my old PC was:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 @ 1.8GHz,
Ati Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR4,
ASRock 4core 1600 twins p35,
2GB Kingston DDR2,
320GB Sundata 7200RPM,
550W PSU.

Last edited:
You'll want Haswell. Practically the same price except better performing. Grab yourself an ASRock B85 board to go with it. Rest seems good, but the 750w is overkill. Since the Seasonics are priced cheaper than the TX series right now, this would be perfectly fine for any single GPU setup you throw at it for years.
SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

For your budget, you're not looking at much for a GPU. Probably somewhere in the range of a GTX 760 or R9 270x. If you can stretch the budget, the 760 would be a wise choice.

Back
Top Bottom