The big questions: Mac or PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencerrolls

Beta member
Hi all,

I know this has been hashed out before (I did a couple of searches), but my own situation is different than that of the others I read about here, given my primary uses for a computer.

I'd like to look at getting a computer (preferably a laptop for transport reasons) in the next few months. My primary uses would be:

1) recording music, hopefully eventually being able to mix and produce decent sounding tracks for my own reference
2) standard email/web browsing
3) writing (songs, stories, etc)
4) organizing my digital photography
5) keeping track of my music collection (albums, downloads, etc)

And a few other details:

1) I'm not a gamer at all, although I could forsee myself occasionally playing some game online if I had my own computer.
2) I could be travelling a bit in the next year, so portability would be nice.
3) I'm not really computer-literate in the sense of knowing or caring about upgrades, ghz this or mb that. ;)

With all that in mind, what are you thoughts? From what I've researched so far, I'm leaning towards getting a Mac, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks so much in advance!
:)
Spencer

Well, i don't know a lot about Macs, but I think that a mac will suit you pretty well. The real problem with macs in my mind are the compatability issues. If you aren't planning on gaming, a Mac will suit you just fine.

Yea for what you're going to be doing, macs will suit your needs. Like fastrandstrongr said, get one of the macbooks.

Get a mini mac, you can take it anywhere, they come with core 2 duos in them and are absolutely perfect for music recording. My friends got one with a protools setup on it and we both record guitar parts with it, it's awesome. The only thing is you might need to get an external hard drive for it. But I think the things are really good, especially for that kind of thing.

macdude425 said:
Someone pinch me, I've never seen this before.

Everyone posted so far is in consensus for getting a Mac.

It's because of what he's planning to do. Macs are, from what I heard, more user-friendly with editing, music, photos, and such. Also he said he's not a gamer.

Use a PC with Linux bobojuice. That doesn't cost money :p

I would use a Mac with Windows Vista if I had the money. I like Microsoft. I use their peripherals and their OS.

I used linux at my old job, and if i hadnt i'd probably actually be thinking about it. But since i did, i know i will never ever ever run a linux box. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom