Big Questions Answered.. Here's the Build with a few more Answers to get - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Big Questions Answered.. Here's the Build with a few more Answers to get

you can't delete posts. you can edit though by using the pencil icon. The 560 Ti is a good choice if it's in your budget, nice and fast.

Also I've got my 2500k up at 4.5ghz stock cooling and it's idling around 66C right now @1.4v

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Big Questions Answered.. Here's the Build with a few more Answers to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
you can't delete posts. you can edit though by using the pencil icon. The 560 Ti is a good choice if it's in your budget, nice and fast.

Also I've got my 2500k up at 4.5ghz stock cooling and it's idling around 66C right now @1.4v
Thats good to hear.. yeah i got the 560 ti.. i think my build is really cheap and pretty solid for spending only 700 dollars. Only thing is one would have to have there own monitor/keyboard/mouse ... but thats not a big deal..

I really started this build with the attention of spending around 500 and could of done it if i just used AMD products, but i was convinced to splurge a bit more and I am still happy with the final price. Had it been at 1000 dollars now I would be annoyed. Thanks for everyones help here on the boards really good people.

I will be uploading pics when I get all my stuff .. and Probably asking for help on looking at a good DIY with instruction / video.. It would be helpful.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I was thinking about getting an AMD build, using a 1090t, but in the end I decided to go with a 2500k build, and man, I'm really happy I spent the extra money on the faster stuff. I'm sure the 1090t would have been more than enough for what I do on a regular basis, but man, lemme tell you, there's something super gratifying bout taking your CPU up over 5ghz and taking the #1 spot on the SuperPi charts. Even if it was just for an hour
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20a2typer View Post
a good DIY with instruction / video.. It would be helpful.
Animated web page:
Build a PC - Introduction to Building your PC - PCitYourself.com

Video from Newegg:

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
ninja troll

Quote:
Q1: Is this normal/consistent with other people using the stock cooler?

Q2: Is it quiet at full fan speed?

That is really impressive.
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Don't want to hijack this thread to an OC one, just curious while we wait for the OP's pics of his build.
Quote:
I've got my 2500k up at 4.5ghz stock cooling and it's idling around 66C right now @1.4v
I realize all CPUs aren't created equal, but have you tried tweaking your voltage?
Accounts I've read you can do 4.5GHz on a low 1.3x, if not 1.3 flat, @ 1.4 you could be pushing a high 4 if not 5GHz.

Regardless, really impressed you're stable on stock with those speeds and volts.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 09-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalwaysready View Post
Q1: Is this normal/consistent with other people using the stock cooler?

Q2: Is it quiet at full fan speed?

That is really impressive.
I dunno what most people run theirs at with stock cooling, I suppose I'm so used to having a good cooler that I kinda forgot I was still on stock... I didn't have any issues with heat or anything though, and 4.5ghz is a nice round number so I figured I'd stick there, all though it's really not necessary for day to day usage. Yes the fan is at 100% speed I assume, it's at 2,000 RPM which seems like a logical max speed, but it's not very loud in comparison to my 6870 which is the FrozrII version and all the case fans.

@roark I haven't really messed with the voltages to see where I can get it at, it doesn't overheat at it's current voltages so I'm not too concerned to go and tweak away. I have to bump up my voltage quite a bit to get stable over 5ghz, but I also don't really know too much about all the new options on this board, the last desktop system I had was a q6600 which I sold off as the i7's were JUST coming out and got a laptop for college and overclocking has changed so much since the LGA 775 days.

Closed Thread