Better Gaming Rig? Amd Or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk5billion

Beta member
I am trying to decide which of these two machines would make a better gaming computer. Also I would like some suggestion on what type of graphic card i should upgrade too. And when i do install a more powerful graphics card should I also invest in a bigger power supply? 350w seems grossly inadequate.

1.HP AMD Phenomâ„¢ Desktop 2.20GHz, 750GB HD, 24" LCD
# Processor and Memory: AMD LIVEâ„¢ Smarter Digital Entertainment, AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9550 Quad-Core Processor
# 6144MB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x2048MB 2x1024MB) (expandable to 8GB)
# 2MB L2+2MB shared L3 Cache
# Memory Slots: 2 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
# 750GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive
# SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology: 16x max DVDR, 8x max DVDR DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW, 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM

Audio, Video and Graphics:
# High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
# NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory, DVI and HDMI capabilities, and support for Microsoft® DirectX® 10; up to 2047MB total available graphics memory as allocated by Windows Vista®

Connectivity:
# Integrated 10/100Mbps network interface
# 56k modem
# Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n

Ports/Slots:
# Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick - Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+
# 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front, 4 back)
# 2 FireWire® (IEEE 1394) port(s) (1 front, 1 back)
# Headphone; Microphone; Audio left/right-in; S-video-in; Composite video-in (front)
# 2 PS/2; Digital Audio Out; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out; Rear speaker-out; Side speaker-out; Center (subwoofer)(back)

Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor
# HP wireless keyboard and optical mouse with extended range (up to 30 feet)
# HP w2408h Vivid Color 24" diagonal widescreen flat panel monitor with BrightView panel with adjustable tilt and integrated speakers

Operating System:
# Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1 - delivers premier performance, reliability and enhanced security

2.Dell XPS 420 Desktop 2.5GHz, 750GB HD, 22" LCD
# Processor and Memory: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300(2.5GHz 1333FSB) w/ 6MB cache
# 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
# 750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200RPM
# 3.5" Floppy Drive
# 16X DVD+R/RW

Audio, Video and Graphics:
# Integrated audio
# Dell AX210 USB Stereo Speaker
# ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB

Connectivity:
# 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Ports/Slots:
# Dell 19 in 1 Enhanced Media Card Reader
# USB 2.0 Ports: 10: 2 front, 6 back, 2 internal
# Front: Microphone (1) and Headphone (1), 1394a (1), Optional RCA and S-Video ports with Xcelerator option
# Back: S/PDIF, (1 RCA & 1 Optical), 7.1 integrated sound audio I/O (5), DVI, VGA or S-video (Video I/O port depends on the graphics or TV tuner card)
# PCI: 3 Slots
# PCIe x1: 1 Slot
# PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slot
# PCIe x8: 1 Slot
#

Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor:
# Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard with USB Hub
# Dell 2-Button USB Optical Mouse
# 22" (22" viewable) E228WFP Wide Aspect Digital Flat Panel

Power:
# 375W Power Supply
#

Operating System:
# Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium Edition

Build your own, and ESPECIALLY don't go Dell (or any prebuilt for that matter). Best and cheapest way to do it is build your own for a gaming desktop. We can help you out here...all you gotta do is give us a budget.

Agree. Prebuilts tend to skimp on a lot of parts... and there are so many benefits of building your own, you'll never regret it. Everyone here will tell you the same.

yea just make shure you tell these guys what parts you plan on buying before you purchase them then they can give u advice and tell you weather u should get them or not, or you'l do what i did and end up with a 423 socket motherboard!

The Intel is better, its higher stock clock, and it over clocks much higher. Not to mention that the 3650 beats the 9300 GE.

But they are right, make your own. For about $700 you can make a computer that will CRUSH those computers ........ in terms of gaming at least.

By the way when it comes to ram, anything over 4GB is overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom