Best partition layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedougster

Baseband Member
Can people tell me the best way to devide software on a PC. I am thinking of setting up 2x 80Gb SATA2 drives in RAID0 and have a seperate 250Gb drive. I think i read somewhere that Windows XP likes to have a seperate partition all to it's self. Is this write and if so what size?

Also a few other questions and what I was going to do. Please correct me if i am wrong or tell me the best option.

Do I move 'My Documents' folder to a seperate partition on the RAID0 drive or to the seperate 250Gb drive?

Do I my programs folder in a seperate partion?

Where would it be best to put any games I have?

Sorry if this is all a bit obviouse but i am looking for the best performance from my drives.

The Dougster

Install Windows and all your software onto the 2 80GB drives in RAID 0, as this will increase the loading times slightly, and put all your other data onto the 250GB drive, i.e. move the My Documents foler there, as this doesn't require such performance.

Either:

1. Leave it unpartitioned.

2. Split it into say 2 80GB partitions, one for Windows and software/games, the other for a backup of essential data from the 250GB drive. Backups are very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom