Best Mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Talking Best Mobo?

So I have been getting Biostar but am starting to feel as tho they suck. Anybody else agree? I may try and return my new Biostar for a refund and go a different route.

SO, which do you feel is the best motherboard manufacturer?
I have tried a DFI before, which died after 6 months. I've tried 3 biostars, 2 of which seemed very unstable. One Intel, very stable and also an ASUS which also seems to be very stable.

So here we go. Which is the best reputable motherboard name (for AMD processor)? Asus? Gigabyte?

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Best Mobo?

asus and gigabyte are both good brands for mobo's. i have heard asus is going down hill lately with thier mainstream boards. i am going to soon purchase a gigiabyte board for christmas.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

<<< i like rep :D
Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah. I've never really heard anything bad about ASUS. I'm starting to really wonder about Biostar.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

asus didnt go downhill with their p45's (not that it would help you lol)
i think both those brands are good, though i've never owned a gigabyte. thirdshift swears by them and i swear by asus, so between us they are both good brands.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to gurusan

Asus certainly has not been going downhill.....

And which biostar board do you have? They do make some good boards, especially the p45 lineup
|| 2500K @ 5GHz 1 thread, 4.8 2 threads, 4.6 3, 4.5 4 1.284V ||
|| P8P67-M Pro || 8GB @ 2133MHz ||
|| 5850 @ 1000/1225 || XFX 650W || Silverstone FT03B ||
|| 37" LCD TV || CM Hyper 212+ || Samsung 2.1 Soundbar ||
Old 12-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I currently own a Biostar TF8200 and it's been giving me trouble with the onboard MediaShield Raid controllers, tho I can't prove it to be the mobo yet. Still trying to isolate the problem. See my thread at:
Mind Boggling Raid Problems for more info on that.

Another Biostar I had, can't remember the model, had some faulty USB ports.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Used an MSI board once - best I've ever used but that was almost 6 years ago. I've owned two ASUS boards in the past years - this recent board is top of the line and exactly what you pay for. The other one I had was terrible and like the guy above me, I couldn't prove it was the motherboard but after a while of seriously testing everything I could conclude it was the motherboard. It was causing a ton of freeze ups and incompatibility issues with literally everything. I think I was just unlucky with my board but I'd def say go with ASUS.

Closed Thread