Best graphics for older computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Plans for a new computer have fallen through do to a bank error with my income taxes. I now have to resort to buying a couple new parts to hold this computer over for a while, and then once I get the taxes back, I'll build a new computer. This computer will be used once I get a new computer, so I will be wanting to put some money into it to keep it going for quite some time. The computer is rather old, so I know I can't get the best card available, as it will be bottlenecked most likely. The computer specifications are as follow :

Soyo Dragon KT-400 Platinum (AGP 4x/8x)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (Over clocked to 2.25Ghz)
1GB (2x512MB) PC2100 DDR (Running at 147Mhz)
PNY Nvidia FX5200 128-Bit 256MB (Going out, starting to see a LOT of artifacts during ANY type of 3D graphics)
80GB Western Digital (IDE)
500GB Western Digital (IDE)
450W Ultra PSU (Just bought, other failed)

I would like to be able to get like a 2600XT, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to actually utilize all of it's power. So with everything known, what would be the best card I could get and utilize it at it's full potential? Would a 1650PRO be my best bet, or is that still overkill?

Don't waste your money upgrading that.

Save your money and get new parts.

For about $400, you can build a system that is much better than your current system.

The X1650Pro would be a great card for that computer. If you find a 2600XT on sale, get it instead.

While the computer is old, it is still usable. I just put a 6600 (thanks, Atech) in my wife socket A 2000+ machine for her. It didn't help the CPU run faster, but it sure beat the stuffing out of the MX4000 that had been in it.

Don't waste your money upgrading that.

Save your money and get new parts.

For about $400, you can build a system that is much better than your current system.

Obviously, you can not read, therefore should not post. Thanks for the input, even though it was useless information that I already know. (Sorry to sound like an a-hole) Yes, the computer is running on dead platforms, but it is still working, and will continue working, for basic web surfing, photo editing, and will be used as a 'guest' computer. I do have all the parts chosen for a new computer, but I do not have the funds at this time. Once I get my income taxes back, I will purchase all the parts needed, and then this will be 'cast away' to be the guests computer.

The X1650Pro would be a great card for that computer. If you find a 2600XT on sale, get it instead.

While the computer is old, it is still usable. I just put a 6600 (thanks, Atech) in my wife socket A 2000+ machine for her. It didn't help the CPU run faster, but it sure beat the stuffing out of the MX4000 that had been in it.

Would the 2600XT be 'bottlenecked' by the processor though? I found a 2600XT on the egg, for $55, does that seem like a decent price? I've seen the others on the egg for almost double that. Right now, the X1650Pro I am looking at is the same price, and everything is almost identical, except for the GPU of course.

AGPs are getting harder and harder to find. That's not a bad price, especially if you start looking around.

Even if it is bottlenecked it will still be better than what you have right now. Pop in another gig of RAM and you will have maxed that puppy out. ;)

Alright, just placed the order for the 2600XT, newegg had the lowest price, even lower than Ebay. I'm glad I ordered it already, as now I get choppy movement whenever I scroll through webpages. I used a gift certificate for next day saver, so hopefully it gets here soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom