Bed-ridden work via s-video to TV (PLEASE HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixedrock

Beta member
Hello, and YAH bless you all who help me on this matter.

I'm restricted to my bed right now, as I broke my heel and I need a way of working from bed, so I need a way of working from my computer from my bed. I'm thinking if I can get a half way decent image through my s-video line in the TV, i can at least work a little more comfortably. I write music with my computer and I have a Tascam usb interface that I use to record guitar and vocals with. Both my guitars and mics are near my bed, but my computer is across the room. I need to type essays using my wireless keyboard and mouse setup and to at least conceive the screen with some clarity. I hear that with some old tv's the migration from monitor to TV does not work well, but I might as well find as much information about this as I can, and that's why I'm writing this.

I have a desktop made by a company called VPR Matrix, a generic brand that I bought at Best Buy in 2001.

It has a Pentium 4 at 1.6 gigz, two 80gig harddrives, a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS audio card, 512 DDR SDram, and maybe 6 PCI slots, 3 open now.

I am looking to buy some Patriot ram from (newegg). Patriot 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) I know my compter can handle this because I went to crucial.com and did a scan. I decided on Patriot ram because it is made in the usa and seen reliable and sufficient for my need. That is step one in my plan.

Step two...

My monitor, a Samsung Syncmaster 753df has decided to crap out on me and not display and red, so what I want to do is get a new video card that supports s-video out and display through my TV, which is a Philips 20 inch flat screen monitor. The model number is Philips TV 20PT6441 20" real flat
20PT6441/37.

I need suggestions for video cards that will work with my motherboard. I talked to a computer tech friend of the family whose been doing this sort of thing for over 30 years and he said that basically any video card that I get can be used. I want to get something NVIDIA and not too special, as long as it supports s-video and is decent, and I might need a good video cable to go from the card to my TV.

Any suggestions and help is much appreciated. Thank you and Abba Bless.

EDIT

I found out what kind of motherboard i am running and the specs so this info might help

Model: Intel D845BG
Chipset: Intel i845D Rev 04
Southbridge: Intel 82801BA (ICH2)

Graphic Interface
Version AGP version 2.0
Max Support 4X
Sideband not supported

Hello,

I couldn't find much about that TV on the net.
I am guessing that 20" TV is a SD(Standard Definition) TV?

keep in mind SD have rather terrible resolution of 720 * 480

I don't know if you played with your resolution on old monitor...
but the old samsung had maximum res of 1280 by 1024

2nd,
if you want a decent video card... power supply will probably have to be upgraded also.

another option is you could just get a VGA to S-Video adapter
like this one here

Fat.clown had a good idea for a cheap, easy solution (buying the vga-to-S-video adapter), and seeing as you're probably not going to be needing this long, I'd agree and say that's the way to go.

That converter is a good idea but I'm looking for something a little less suck than what I have.

Fat Clown...
The TV is standard def and yes, it will suck to cut down my resolution a little, but this is what I may have to do for a while. And I think this setup may have to be for a few months if not longer. Also, I looked into the power supply deal and my 300 w power supply will do.

I was thinking about something like this...Newegg.com - EVGA 128-A8-N303-L2 GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom