A basic PC under $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I have a co-worker that asked if I'd build her a computer. All she uses it for is the internet and some flash based games and a few low end games that her kids play. In short she doesn't need anything fancy.

I asked what she had now and she said a Windows 98 system... :stare:

She still has IE5 :stare: I almost cried for her... she was telling me how she can't use half the websites they want to go on...

She wants a new PC and obviously not an upgrade. I told her it is possible that I could build her a basic to mid sized PC for about $400-$500 tops for what she wants it for, and it'll be 1000x better then that piece of garbage she has now.

I figure a single core CPU (Dual tops), a basic motherboard of some sort, 2GB (4GB tops of RAM), Windows 7 32 bit, a single low end HDD, low end but not cheap PSU and a basic case. No video card (a low end at most if needed for whatever reason) and she'll use the on-board sound, Ethernet and video.

I was looking at Newegg at the combos, but I'm not sure where to begin. I know how to build a PC, but have never really put one together. I've done just about everything with mine, so building one can't be much harder.

Oh and I assume she has the monitor, keyboard etc...

Thanks.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/h...er-200-all-components-software-lsited-236364/

You could use that as a template.

If she's already got windows OS, it's good to go instead of LInux. But getting a fresh copy of Windows 7, at the cheapest, will be roughly $100 if you're just doing the home edition or something.

But just put in a Video Card, and maybe a better PSU.

Windows 7 upgrade disks wont work on Windows 98, nor will it work on Windows 2000 or ME. So you can't go cheap route on that.

Might want to look into Windows VISTA, see what you can get for a copy of it.

Also, look into Mythbuntu. Gotta download Ubuntu, and Muthbuntu on top of it.

But it's free, and full media set up etc.

But I'm not quite sure on how it works with Flashplayer games, since I'm still learning it myself.

I got to thinking about it after I got off the site last night/this morning and wanted to see just how future proof I could make it for her.

This mobo has two PS/2 ports in case she has an older mouse and keyboard (most likely due to her current computer's age).
1. AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX620WFGIBOX
2. BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Combo Price: $133.99 & $7.56 Shipping on mobo

1. Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2. OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SOE1600LV4GK

Combo Price: $149.98 w/$10 MIR on RAM and free shipping on both

1. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
2. COOLER MASTER Elite 310 RC-310-BKR2-GP Black with blue front panel Steel Body / ABS plastic front bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply

Combo Price: $149.98 w/free shipping

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer
$19.99 w/free shipping

That comes out to $461.50 inc. shipping and has a $10 MIR. If you have an old PCI-E graphics card you could donate to her she would be set for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom