basic dell desktop q

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
Dimension B110 are selling pretty cheap, anybody have one of these? i'm looking for a basic benchmark, something like how fast it will rip a CD with Itunes or some other basic operation to get a sense of CPU/system speed

a

From what little I could garner from Dell's tech support offerings, they have a P4 CPU, probably a socket 478, so it would be an older one. Two RAM slots, which hold up to 2gig of RAM, so it probably has 128 or 256.

It ought to rip OK. It's CPU and lack of RAM may slow it down, but I doubt that it would take all day or anything.

If you can post what its CPU and RAM are, we can give you a better estimate.

Trotter said:
ts CPU and RAM are, we can give you a better estimate.

Intel Celeron D Processor 325 (2.53 GHz, 533 FSB), and i'd prolly upgrade to 512 DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

another area of concern is the video card, it says it's an Integrated Intel® GMA 900. does that negate being able to upgrate to a card that has both VGA and DVI?

TIA

a

The B110 does not have a graphics card slot.

A 2.53 ain't real bad, but it ain't great. I have an Athlon 2000+, which is equal to or better than a 2.0GHz Intel, and it is four years old. Heck, they don't even make it anymore.

If you are wanting to do anything more than basic computing and interent surfing, you may want to stear clear of the Dell stable.

Trotter said:

If you are wanting to do anything more than basic computing and interent surfing, you may want to stear clear of the Dell stable.

thanks for the info, helps a great deal

a

I agree. It looks bearable on paper, but I just have too many bad experiences with dell. You really can get some great deals online with computer parts. Those celeron bundles are very affordable on tigerdirect if you're okay with waiting for rebates. Dell is less than advisable.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
You really can get some great deals online with computer parts. Those celeron bundles are very affordable on tigerdirect if you're okay with waiting for rebates. Dell is less than advisable.

can you give an example from tigerdirect?

also, if celerons are lagging so much (and i only really need CD ripping and the possibility of upgrading to a decent video card (for dual monitors but also some light video editing), what would be the next step up?

a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom