Base build off a dell dimension 3000 (STRICT BUDGET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the 2gb of RAM recommended by Trotter and the FX5200 video card.

Would it better to install either the ram before video card or does it really matter?

anything i need to pay close attention to (besides the obvious instructions) when installing these parts.

thanks

I would install the RAM first and make sure it accepts it w/o a problem. After that's all good I would uninstall the current graphics drivers, install the card, and then install the drivers for it.

Hey Trotter....do you know which PGA slot I should put the new card in.

Waiting for support to call me back and tell me so i thought i'd ask here.

thanks for any help!!

not sure what you mean by "pga" slot, but if youre talking about the fx 5200 gfx card that you got from Trotter's suggestion, that card has a pci interface so you just put it into any available pci slot on your mobo.

example (incase youre getting it confused with something else)
pci-mb.jpg

ok, I'm out of town with work and my parents are installing this video card...which isn't the best of situations but ...it is what it is. So they are having issues with the video card install. Here is what they told me.

when she went into bios to switch to the pci slot for the video card, the only option she had available was "automatic" so she chose that, installed the fx5200 drivers and went to restart. when she restarted, she's just getting a black screen.

any ideas what she could have done wrong? I know i didn't provide much detail as to how/what she has done during install and I'll try to get more to narrow down the problems. any starter ideas of where the problem may be... are appreciated.

got the video fixed but somehow she doesn't have audio now. so i'm checking what she might have done.

Looks lke all the drivers are installed but getting audio for a second or 2 when playing online. I'm having them tell me if they can play audio directly from computer right now to narrow down where the problem is.

to be continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom