Bad Sectors - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Bad Sectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliburn View Post
Im confused, should i or should i not use CloneZilla.
Should have used it to begin with like PP and I suggested.

Quote:
What will happen if my OS is corrupt. Should i install a new OS? And btw. now my PC wont work at all anymore, i cant boot it in safemode, nor in normal mode its just stuck on "updating" windows i had to turn it off since it stood there for hours already on 100% which it got after a few minutes.
If you can't boot, then cloning with any software will just clone the non-bootable OS.

What does it do when you try Safe Mode? Can you get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so, get to the command prompt, and type in:
sfc /scannow

Quote:
My PC is basicly usless now, and i dont know what happened since last time. The only thing i did was delete temporay files and a few personel files from the drive to make more space, and suddenly it just totaly fails on me. CloneZilla is my only hope, will i be able to get it back up again, or do i have to "start from scratch" again? I really appriciate your help guys.
What temp files did you delete? If you can't get Windows to boot, then yes your best bet would be to just install a fresh copy of Windows on the new drive.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

We've told you several times now that you should have used Clonezilla from the start. Make an IMAGE of your Corsair drive and flash that to your Samsung. Take the Corsair out after that's done and boot to the Samsung. If Windows won't work, you need to do a fresh install. It's as simple as that. Messing around with everything probably further damaged your Corsair drive or further corrupted your Windows install.

To be quite frank based on everything you just said it would be wise to simply do a fresh install on the Samsung drive anyways.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
We've told you several times now that you should have used Clonezilla from the start. Make an IMAGE of your Corsair drive and flash that to your Samsung.
Yup. This is exactly why I do it this way, and always suggest making an image to a secondary drive, rather than disk-to-disk (can't remember who we got into an argument about it with.... but this is exactly another case-in-point of why to do it that way).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Yup. This is exactly why I do it this way, and always suggest making an image to a secondary drive, rather than disk-to-disk (can't remember who we got into an argument about it with.... but this is exactly another case-in-point of why to do it that way).
I believe it was Joe but I could be wrong. Making an image from the beginning means he wouldn't have had to mess with the drive any further and prevent any further corruption of the OS.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I believe it was Joe but I could be wrong. Making an image from the beginning means he wouldn't have had to mess with the drive any further and prevent any further corruption of the OS.
Can't remember for sure, haha. But yup, totally agree with you. I've lived it, which is why I do it that way now lol. I learned the hard way.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to Caliburn

Thank you guys, i am finally doing it. I dont know what took me so long, somehow i got my OS to boot again, so i think it is ok. If not i can do a fresh install later. Thank you for being so patient, i dont know much about computers yet, I am trying to learn and i make a but-load of mistakes. Hopefully this will work out, if not you will hear from me again, thank God for people like you who take part of your time to help idiots like me...
Caliburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Hey we've all been there. You're not an idiot when you're simply ignorant to the subject matter. The difference is if you're willing to learn. Just next time if we say use Clonezilla, use it

Access to my Plex PM me.