Bad Sectors

Caliburn

Baseband Member
I believe my old SSD have bad sectors, i am still able to load the OS but i get frequent BSODs, how do i check if my theory is correct, and what can i do to fix it?

I believe my old SSD have bad sectors, i am still able to load the OS but i get frequent BSODs, how do i check if my theory is correct, and what can i do to fix it?
I'm 96% sure it's not your SSD causing the BSOD's. Check to see if your computer made crash dump files (C:\Windows\Minidump). If it did, upload some of them here. If there are a ton, just upload the 3 most recent.

This could have been put in your other thread. Did you use Clonezilla, or still trying to boot off a bad clone from the Corsair using the Samsung utility? If the thing is dying you need to grab the important stuff off of it and do a fresh install on the Samsung SSD. You don't want to clone a corrupted Windows install.

All my important stuff is on my other hard-drives. I tried first freeing up some space and trying to clone it with the Samsung software just to see exactly what message i got back. But doing a fresh install wouldn't that mean i had to buy a new operating system? They are quite expensive :/ i would rather not. And it is giant pain in the bum to get everything working like i want it to again after "switching" computers. But if that is what i have to it is what i have to do.

I have not tried CloneZilla yet for one reasons. I am afraid it is my OS that is damaged/corrupt, and that is why i want to find out if the fault lies with the SSD or something else. Oh and to free space i just deleted temporary files, including minidump. I can put up the file after i crash again, and going by my luck i would say that will be in 2-3 days.

So how do i check if my SSD has bad sectors?

I recently read an article in Maximum PC magazine, in it they stated that the Samsung software error'd when they attempted to clone a drive too, so it's most likely the Samsung software and not your drive. Your better off to clone your existing drive from outside of windows using Clonezilla's (or your favorite clone tool) boot disk

All my important stuff is on my other hard-drives. I tried first freeing up some space and trying to clone it with the Samsung software just to see exactly what message i got back. But doing a fresh install wouldn't that mean i had to buy a new operating system? They are quite expensive :/ i would rather not. And it is giant pain in the bum to get everything working like i want it to again after "switching" computers. But if that is what i have to it is what i have to do.

I have not tried CloneZilla yet for one reasons. I am afraid it is my OS that is damaged/corrupt, and that is why i want to find out if the fault lies with the SSD or something else. Oh and to free space i just deleted temporary files, including minidump. I can put up the file after i crash again, and going by my luck i would say that will be in 2-3 days.

So how do i check if my SSD has bad sectors?
That's why you make an image of the Corsair drive and flash that to the Samsung. It's no different than what you're doing, except it might actually work. Cloning the boot drive from within Windows is always a bad idea.

As to the Windows question, no. If you're still using the same motherboard it should work fine.

There is no way to see if an SSD has bad sectors because SSDs don't have bad sectors. Only flash cells can go bad, in which there is no way to detect that I know of. That's why over provision was created.

That's why you make an image of the Corsair drive and flash that to the Samsung. It's no different than what you're doing, except it might actually work. Cloning the boot drive from within Windows is always a bad idea.

As to the Windows question, no. If you're still using the same motherboard it should work fine.

There is no way to see if an SSD has bad sectors because SSDs don't have bad sectors. Only flash cells can go bad, in which there is no way to detect that I know of. That's why over provision was created.

This. Just to add on, though, with the imaging part:

Make sure you run a chkdsk /B to re-evaluate the disk. Because if you have any bad sectors on the old drive, they will get carried over with a clone/image. Running chkdsk with the /B flag will clear the bad sector list and then re-run it (2nd part is unnecessary on an SSD, but the first part is so that it still uses all of the drive and avoid issues later, I believe).

This. Just to add on, though, with the imaging part:

Make sure you run a chkdsk /B to re-evaluate the disk. Because if you have any bad sectors on the old drive, they will get carried over with a clone/image. Running chkdsk with the /B flag will clear the bad sector list and then re-run it (2nd part is unnecessary on an SSD, but the first part is so that it still uses all of the drive and avoid issues later, I believe).
I think the word we used last time was "precautionary" lol.

Im confused, should i or should i not use CloneZilla. What will happen if my OS is corrupt. Should i install a new OS? And btw. now my PC wont work at all anymore, i cant boot it in safemode, nor in normal mode its just stuck on "updating" windows i had to turn it off since it stood there for hours already on 100% which it got after a few minutes.

My PC is basicly usless now, and i dont know what happened since last time. The only thing i did was delete temporay files and a few personel files from the drive to make more space, and suddenly it just totaly fails on me. CloneZilla is my only hope, will i be able to get it back up again, or do i have to "start from scratch" again? I really appriciate your help guys.

EDIT: I got my PC up and running agin thankfully. It still has the same problems as before though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom