Bad Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
Was trying to create a partition on the main drive C using Acronis, but afterwards got a message: "OPERATION ERROR: Unable to resize partition with bad blocks" Well, I used the Check Disk utility and defrag, and that didn't help. Strange, I thought the check disk utility was suppose to correct bad blocks as well. So what other option I have here besides doing a total reformat ??

Bad sectors is the term there. Any data on those is often considered lost now. Windows however provides the check disk utility you can start up at the Start>Run command line by simply typing chkdsk there.

That will schedule that to run the next time you start the system. The chkdsk /f is used there. For the recovery console when booting up with the XP cd you would use the /r switch at the command promt.

Besides Acronis one drive tool that generally works quite well for resizing partitions for MS as well as Linux partition typs is the Gnome Partition Editor commonly referred to as GParted.

The 0.3.3.0 live for cd(35mb iso disk image bunred to a cd-r) was the last platform independent version found at #15 from the top at SourceForge.net: Files

The full documentation for use including screen shows is provided at GPARTED DOCUMENTATION - GENERALITIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom