Be awesome to me! Help me finalize my gaming PC build :D ($500-$600 range)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutan

Solid State Member
I made a thread a while ago, and you guys helped me get my feet off the ground. Thanks to all of you! The PC I'm looking to build now is drastically different than what I initially started with, so I figure it deserves a new thread (rather than bump the old one and cause all kinds of confusion).

Please, give it a look and give me your recommendations!

PSU:
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
I was a little wary about this PSU, but after looking at the sticky, this very PSU was recommended on the list. It's got a sweet discount going for it right now, so looks good to me.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Is there any reason to get the E8400 instead of this? It seems like an oddly neglected item. Is there something I'm missing, or is this going to be fine?

GPU:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
This is pretty much set in stone. Absolutely killer deal here on a GPU that seems to be recommended universally.

RAM:
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
I'm basically getting this because it was recommended to me, but I'm kind of shopping blind as far as RAM is concerned. If anyone has something they think would be better, please let me know!

MOBO:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
This should be adequate, right? I've honestly never used a device that demands firewire, and that seems to be the only gripe. One thing I spied is that it says FSB: 1600(O.C.)/1333MHz... anyone care to explain that overclocking bit to me?

CASE:
Honestly? I have no idea what I'm looking for. Good ventilation, I guess? I understand, though, that cases are not cheap to get shipped, so when going for budget, it's best to look for free shipping. I'm leaving myself this handy-dandy list until I know what to look for:
Newegg.com - Free Shipping, Computer Cases, Computer Cases, Computer Hardware

Thanks to everyone who helps this time around! :laughing:

I would get this case. Even with shipping, it's still cheap, and a great case in general.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

This RAM is better:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also, this mobo is loads better, and only about 23 bucks more:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The E7400 will work fine on a budget.

This stuff with the products you chose comes out to be $586.45 after shipping/before rebates.

EDIT: By the way, do you need an HDD or an optical drive?

Jeez, you're awesome! Wasn't expecting such a prompt and thorough reply.

About the mobo: That thing's got great reviews (particularly in the area of overclocking), but what exactly am I getting compared to the other one? I'm just curious. The north bridge chip is different; I'm guessing (guessing!) this is the biggest thing that pertains to me? Regardless, you're the expert here, and I'll get it on your reccomendation.

I'll get the RAM, no questions asked. :laughing:

The case... It's another twenty bucks for shipping, which is kinda ouch. Still, it's actually not my first time seeing a link to this case, so it must be solid. Are you recommending it on experience? This is my first time putting together a computer from scratch, so I'd really like a case that's easy to work with.

Also, good grief! I can't believe I forgot the HDD! I've got an optical drive, but I do need a HDD :p I'll pick one out in a bit, unless someone knows something off the top of their head? I was hoping for 750GB-1TB (with standard everything else-- 7200rpm, 3Gb/s, etc-- it's more a matter of who's a good manufacturer for the money).

You've been a great help already. Thanks :D

Jeez, you're awesome! Wasn't expecting such a prompt and thorough reply.

About the mobo: That thing's got great reviews (particularly in the area of overclocking), but what exactly am I getting compared to the other one? I'm just curious. The north bridge chip is different; I'm guessing (guessing!) this is the biggest thing that pertains to me? Regardless, you're the expert here, and I'll get it on your reccomendation.

I'll get the RAM, no questions asked. :laughing:

The case... It's another twenty bucks for shipping, which is kinda ouch. Still, it's actually not my first time seeing a link to this case, so it must be solid. Are you recommending it on experience? This is my first time putting together a computer from scratch, so I'd really like a case that's easy to work with.

Also, good grief! I can't believe I forgot the HDD! I've got an optical drive, but I do need a HDD :p I'll pick one out in a bit, unless someone knows something off the top of their head? I was hoping for 750GB-1TB (with standard everything else-- 7200rpm, 3Gb/s, etc-- it's more a matter of who's a good manufacturer for the money).

You've been a great help already. Thanks :D

The Biostar Tp45 is just abut the best motherboard you can get as far as overcloking is concerned and it also gives you the option to add another hd4850 for crossfire in the future.

I have the Antec 300 and highly recommend it. It is very easy to work with and has unbeatable cooling for it's price, especially if you add two 120mm intake fans to the front.

^^ What he said.

If you are looking for a case ~$60 you should look at this: Newegg.com - ARK SR-8100BG Beige Pedestal Server Case 7 External 5.25" Drive Bays - Server Chassis
It says server chassis but what it means is an improved silverstone TJ-05 with $100 off the price see my thread here: http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/looking-new-case-199535/
The picures on newegg really show what I mean.

Actually, that case is more expensive than the 300, since it has higher shipping costs. He was worried about how expensive it was with shipping included.

Still a nice case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom