Audigy 2 Platinum or X-Fi Platinum? READ ME PLZ!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Audigy 2 Platinum or X-Fi Platinum? READ ME PLZ!!!

After much debate, I decided to upgrade my sound card instead of my monitor in my HomeTheatre PC. I currently have and old Audigy 1 Gamer Edition. Now seeing as its old, doesn't have 24bit and the driveres are stuffed, I feel that i should upgrade it. It is also called 'gamer edition' and I dont really game much.

So what should I get instead? It would be mostly used for watching DVD's and music. I was looking at either the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum or the X-Fi Platinum. I know the X-Fi is more recent, but is it really worth the extra $100? I need something that would do my Klipsch Promedia 5.1's some justice...

Which should I get? NO ONE WORD ANSWERS LOL

Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

do u need that front 5.25 bay that comes with the platinum, if not then get the xtreme music. anyways i would get teh x-fi
X1800XL 512mb@X1800XT
2x 80g WD SATA
X-FI Platinum
Antec P180b
Old 05-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Switch

If all you’re going to be doing is DVD's and music, than I suppose you could save some cash and get the Audigy 2. The X-Fi during music playback does a Dolby Pro Logic-like thing where say, the vocals are divided up into the center channel, the guitar is in the side channels etc... The Audigy 2 doesn't have that, its just stereo throughout the 6 channels -- which you might want. Personally, I like the Pro-Logic because it makes different sounds/instruments easier to decipher out of the vocals, bass, whatever.

DVD's will probably sound exactly the same as your Audigy gamer unless you use a S/PDIF output.

If you like standard stereo for music, get an Audigy 2. If you want the Pro Logic, get an X-Fi. And unless you need a 5.25 bay in the front just get the standard Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi Xtrememusic.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sw1tCh[FX]
If all you’re going to be doing is DVD's and music, than I suppose you could save some cash and get the Audigy 2. The X-Fi during music playback does a Dolby Pro Logic-like thing where say, the vocals are divided up into the center channel, the guitar is in the side channels etc... The Audigy 2 doesn't have that, its just stereo throughout the 6 channels -- which you might want. Personally, I like the Pro-Logic because it makes different sounds/instruments easier to decipher out of the vocals, bass, whatever.

DVD's will probably sound exactly the same as your Audigy gamer unless you use a S/PDIF output.

If you like standard stereo for music, get an Audigy 2. If you want the Pro Logic, get an X-Fi. And unless you need a 5.25 bay in the front just get the standard Audigy 2 ZS or X-Fi Xtrememusic.
Yeah I need the front bay to plug in my Midi Keyboard...

DVD's may sound the same, but the audigy 1 doesn't have onboard DTS so DTS movies would sound better on the audigy 2 or x-fi.

How are the drivers on the Audigy 2 ZS? My Audigy 1 drivers screwed up after about 3 weeks... The sound started going crackly. I switched to KX drivers and it was fine...

Is the X-Fi basicly a Pro Logic version of the Audigy 2 ZS or are there other better things about it?

Would the Audigy 2 ZS screw up like my Audigy 1?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

the X-Fi is FAR better than the audigy series in terms of quality. if you have the money, by all means get the X-fi.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13ghz
Gigabyte P35-S3 Motherboard
A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800mhz memory
Geforce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Old 05-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is the X-Fi basicly a Pro Logic version of the Audigy 2 ZS or are there other better things about it?

I know the X-Fi is more recent, but is it really worth the extra $100?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Hello, there is a similar discussion going on here if you interested. IMO you should only consider the X-FI if you are doing audio creation/editing
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by gaara
Hello, there is a similar discussion going on here if you interested. IMO you should only consider the X-FI if you are doing audio creation/editing
Not likely to do much of that... Yeah I think I'll get a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum. But I warn you, if I'm not happy with it YOU'll GET A DIGITAL SPANKING!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by fraseyboy

I know the X-Fi is more recent, but is it really worth the extra $100?
No, the X-Fi series is built of way more advanced architecture and it consists of couple thousand times more transistors making it introduce sound in a completely different way which you've never heard before.

Its 24-bit Crystalizer makes all your music, movies, games sound crisper, brighter, cleaner and richer. Not to mention it improves gaming performance by freeing up CPU usage.

The X-Fi card series is fully certified by THX and DTS surround, which further proves its quality and renown.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13ghz
Gigabyte P35-S3 Motherboard
A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800mhz memory
Geforce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Closed Thread