ATX Power Supply Review - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default ATX Power Supply Review

Has anyone here heard of atxpowersupplies.com? I need to replace a few power supplies and didn't know their reputation.

Thanks.
-Greg

gjohnson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: ATX Power Supply Review

If you want to endanger your entire system. Do not get proprietary stuff if you can help it.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

If you need to replace standard ATX units for tower computers then just order some Corsair branded PSUs from newegg.com.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the input. I had not heard of Corsair before. MindoverMaster, how do you know that they sell proprietary stuff? Is there wording that I need to look out for, or do you just know.
gjohnson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

Well if you look on the main page you can see a lot of them are Dell, Gateway, ect. Over half of the main page units are proprietary units sold in prebuilt servers and desktop computers.

The Corsair TX, HX, and AX units are made by Seasonic who make some of the best PSUs out there. We (more so I) recommend them and only them really. Antec makes good units too, and the Thermaltake TP series is good, but I prefer to recommend Corsair to mostly everybody.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

As PP said, They are made by Dell and others. Dell does not make power supplies.

We is correct. I know a lot of builders on here recommend it. Either Corsair or Antec if you are low on money.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well if you look on the main page you can see a lot of them are Dell, Gateway, ect. Over half of the main page units are proprietary units sold in prebuilt servers and desktop computers.

The Corsair TX, HX, and AX units are made by Seasonic who make some of the best PSUs out there. We (more so I) recommend them and only them really. Antec makes good units too, and the Thermaltake TP series is good, but I prefer to recommend Corsair to mostly everybody.
Did you look at the rest of the site? The site seems to be a psu retailer, with EVERY imaginable power supply avaliable, from generic Pre built oem models to Corsair and Antecs, such as Antec Earthwatts EA-750 750 Watt Power Supply

Oh, I believe SeaSonic doesn't make All the TX Models anymore, CiT does the cx, but i think they make lower W models too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
As PP said, They are made by Dell and others. Dell does not make power supplies.

We is correct. I know a lot of builders on here recommend it. Either Corsair or Antec if you are low on money.
Please stop posting generic info with no fact basis to back up your "opinion", your above statement contradicts itself.

To the OP, the sites going to be over expensive compared to Newegg or Microcenter. I alwas recommend buying the most Amps on a required Watt rating you can afford. You'll find Some generic brand psu with 600W and 32Amp on the 12V, where as a Corsair will have 600W and 50Amps.

The higher Amps is a sign of higher quality internal stuff, which helps keep your computer from having spikes in power signals.

Post up what you are looking at, and we can help guide you correctly... Oh also what you plan on powering, ie you system specs.

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

I did a search for corsair in their search box and it turned up nothing, so therefor I presented with him my recommendation of getting Corsair off Newegg.

Seasonic makes all of their enthusiast models besides the 1200i (not sure of that ones OEM). That includes TX, HX, and AX lines. The Builder, CS, and GS are the other guys.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Please stop posting generic info with no fact basis to back up your "opinion", your above statement contradicts itself.
I think I meant to say they see Dell PSU, yet Dell does not sorely make them, they are OEM.

And what's the crack about "backing up my opinion"?