ATX mobo's`

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I currently have a micro ATX mobo in my PC, and I am looking to buy a new mobo. I would like to be able have the option of ATX mobo's as well as micro ATX mobo's as it will obviously give me more choice. I am aware that ATX mobo's are bigger than micro ATX mobo's but what I want to know is if I can both mobo's in my current case? My current case is as big as you can get so will this mean that I can both ATX mobo's and if not how can I tell whether my case will accept ATX mobo's?

Thanks in advance.

Didn't you already have a thread about this?

Micro ATX and ATX have the screw mounts in the same places.
The only other question is whether your case has the physical space.

(The only difference between ATX motherboards and Micro ATX motherboards these days is just the number of PCI slots.)

So I mean, if you want to know if you can use ATX for more choices, the only real difference is extra PCI slots? Other than that, ATX and Micro ATX are the same.
I don't see why you'd want an ATX motherboard unless you have a lot of PCI cards or something.
Micro ATX boards are cheaper and offer the same options.

[I want to clarify why no one can give you an exact answer]
1: You're not giving us enough information about your case.
2: You're asking us if a quarter can fit in a hole, just because a dime can fit in said hole.
(Dimes can fit in smaller holes than quarters can.)

Micro ATX=Dime
ATX=Quarter

A dime can fit in a hole that can house a quarter easily, but the same can't be said the other way around.

So we can't tell for sure unless we know the dimensions of your case, that's pretty much the only question.
Your case has the proper screw mounts, if it can has Micro ATX, it's a question of size/dimensions.

Like I said my case is as big as they come it is aprox 40cm x 35cm x 18cm.

That is as big a case as you can get, but do you choose the outside measurements or do you go by what is inside the case and as such you have to measure the free space inside the case?

To know if something can fit you go by the space inside.

Are those measurements outside dimensions?
If so, your case is tiny, I assume they're inside dimensions.

If so, your case can fit an ATX motherboard.
One way to tell is how many expansion slots your case has in the back.
That's a fast way to tell, I forgot about it before.
Count your expansion slots.
If you have 6 or more, it can take ATX.
5 or less it might not be able to.

http://www.overclockeddoc.com/bookworm/sound/comp io slot.JPG

Expansion slots are pointed out in that image.
Take a look and count yours.

Right I have to apologise for wasting your time, I have just checked the inside of my mobo to see if an ATX at 30cm x 24 cm will fit and there is no chance in a million years that it will.

Once again I do apologise for the idiottic question but I did think my case was a big one, but it's nothing special really!:yum::cry::big_smile::wink_tongue:

Don't feel bad going with Micro ATX though as I stated earlier, Micro ATX and ATX motherboard are essentially the same.
My last two motherboard purchases were both Micro ATX and I've liked them more than my ATX motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom