ATI Radeon 9600, worth it?..pro or no pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
Hey,
My friend is now thinking about upgrading his PC A little by buying it a new AGP x8 card, now he can only afford like 100$ (And no, don't give me newegg links because we can't purchase there anyway)

The best card for this budget was either Nvidia 6200 or the ATI Radeon 9600... right now he has Nvidia Gforce MX 4400, will he notice a big diffrence in performence by buying a radeon 9600? Or will he be disappointed if he buys one?

Also, of course which will perform better the 6200 or the 9600?

One last thing... whats the diff between 9600 to 9600pro? they have same amount of RAM, same amount of pipelines... anyone knows?

Thanks for advance,
-Jo

The 9600PRO is clocked higher than the regular 9600 which makes it a slightly faster card.

And i would not recommend the upgrade, becaues the 9600 is NOT a huge improvement over the MX4400. For a hundred bucks, no its not worth it. at least get a 6600GT (AGP version). That would be a VERY big improvement over the MX4400. The 6600GT can be found at around 130USD.

And the 6200 is slightly better than the 9600. Still, the best bang for the buck would be a 6600GT for your friend.

I agree with bonehelm. In some cases the 4400 even benchmarks higher than the 9600Pro. That upgrade is really worth about $5 in increased performance.

I also agree with a 6600GT AGP. I had one myself, and thought it was a good card overall. Good value on the critter too:D

I had a MX440 then i bought a 6800GS but my duron was auctually the problem, so i sold it to my friend and then he gave me his 9600XT and counter strike runs worse... Dont get either card.

Biggie578 said:
I had a MX440 then i bought a 6800GS but my duron was auctually the problem, so i sold it to my friend and then he gave me his 9600XT and counter strike runs worse... Dont get either card.

That's interesting...

You say that your Duron was the problem, but then recommend against getting either card because they didnt perform well? Even though, you knew that there was a problem elsewhere? Can you clarify?

the ATI Radeon 9600 pro or non pro is not a good card for gaming.

i have an ATI Radeon 9800 pro, and it really puts a damper on all my gaming.

im upgrading to a 6600GT soon, so that should make it better, but trust me. an ATI Radeon 9600 or 9800 pro is not a good card for gaming.

-Phate

Elbatrop1 said:
That's interesting...

You say that your Duron was the problem, but then recommend against getting either card because they didnt perform well? Even though, you knew that there was a problem elsewhere? Can you clarify?

I think he's just saying that both cards are crap. It was already running badly and then he tried the new card and it was even worse.

Phate said:
yes, both cards ARE crap. get a 7900GTX :D

-Phate

There is no need for comments like that, we're trying to give some advice to a guy on a low budget with AGP. This is not a comedy forum.

I suggest maybe a Radeon 9550. It is the same as a 9600pro but costs about half as much. All you need to do is use ATI tool to restore the clock speeds to 400 from 250 and use the ati tool "remove clock lock feature" (so the card doesnt remain locked at its default of 250).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102484

I know you dont want newegg links but that is the one my friend is getting - he's in a similar situation and i'm going to help him get it going at decent speeds.

It may only be $50 which means it'll be $75 or so elsewhere and you still have some cash left over.

well, if hes gaming, a 9800 pro or below just simply wont work. i have a 9800 pro, and it puts a huge damper on all my gaming. im saving to upgrade right now. for regular computing, its fine, but if hes gaming, it simply is not good enough for any next-gen games or even some newer but not next-gen games. i have WoW, and the one thing putting a damper on my game is the ATI Radeon 9800 pro in my computer. it forces me to play on 800x600 resolution or face tons of lag.

if the OP is not gaming, then by all means, dont buy a good card, go for very little money, sacrafice performance. but if he IS gaming, he needs a better card if he wants to play any games newer then 5 years old at reasonable settings.

-Phate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom