ATI: 2900 pro 1GB DDR4 (vs)**new 3870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3870 is TONS cheaper, cooler, and less power consuming. It performs on par with the 2900 PRO/XT.

No it does not consume less power

Don't forget the fact that 8800GT performs around 15% better, 8800GT might have less performance per watt than HD3870 at idle but it have much better performance per watt at load
AnandTech: ATI Radeon HD 3870 & 3850: A Return to Competition

And no, HD3870 is not tons cheaper

but on the other hand the 3780 is better and you can put 4 in crossfire with the new amd boards.

Yea but putting 4 cards in crossfire would cost you around $900, and it will not give you 4 times the performance, not even 3

No it does not consume less power Mr ATI fanboy

DUDE IS THIS THE ONLY CONTRIBUTION YOU CAN MAKE?
WHY CANT YOU JUST MAKE YOUR POINT AND NOT BE SUCH AN @$$???
theres no need to preface your reply with this. i swear to god i wish you would stop.
by the way. look at the offset in idle power consumption between the cards. now look at load consumption.
the 40w difference in idle power draw makes up for the 5w difference in load draw somewhat, i would think. depends on just how much you game and just how much your computer is turned on and idle. lots of variables there.

OP i dont know how good the ati cards overclock. the hd2900pro i had was a MONSTER.
my 8800gt does not clock nearly as well, but still it performs just as well. at stock and overclocked the 8800gt and hd2900 are pretty much neck and neck on PERFORMANCE. ive had both and made the comparison. but look at the carts posted in maroons reply, power consumption of the 2900 is massive.
i dunno if the 3850 is an option, i havent read up on them too much.
i know one thing, compared to the power consumption of the HD2900, the 38** uses NOTHING.

keep arguing about Ati vs Nivida, it's funny ;P

Personally, I prefer ATi but I will not argue about it. There is no point.

I would reccomend the MSI 790FX board.

Also, the benchies on the 3870 were with the 7.10 unoptimised drivers. I expect the speeds to get boosted by a good 5-10% faster with the next driver revision.

No it does not consume less power

Don't forget the fact that 8800GT performs around 15% better, 8800GT might have less performance per watt than HD3870 at idle but it have much better performance per watt at load
AnandTech: ATI Radeon HD 3870 & 3850: A Return to Competition

And no, HD3870 is not tons cheaper

Yea but putting 4 cards in crossfire would cost you around $900, and it will not give you 4 times the performance, not even 3

HEY BUDDY, I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE 8800GT

BUT OK THXN NEWAIZ LOBIBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom