Athlon processor questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdonda

Beta member
I'm getting a new computer and have some questions about which processor I should choose. The computer will mostly be used for basic stuff any computer can handle, but also some occasional gaming (none of the high-detail FPS games though... some sports games, stuff like that).

The rest of the PC will be exactly the same... same video card, same everything else. Here are the options I'm looking at:

Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ with 1GB of RAM
Athlon 64 3800+ with 2GB of RAM
Athlon 64 3200+ with 2GB of RAM, and $50 in my pocket

I don't know much about Athlon processors, how much of a difference there is between these processors, or how much the processor affects gaming. Like most people, I know that more RAM is a good thing and it'll keep your PC from slowing down with a lot of programs open, but that's it.

Which of those three options would you recommend?

If you're not going to go with the more CPU intensive games, I suggest just going with the option that gives you the 50 bucks in your pocket--for games.

well it depents if you will be multitasking. If so, get the dual core, if not go single. and if you plan to multi task, more ram is better, and if not, its not really needed, but the more ram you have, the more noticeable the pc speed is.

so, id say go with the 3800+ and overclock it, and then get 2gb of ram.

btw, what cpu socket you running?

if you are going for 939, take this advice: get socket AM2, its more future ready, plus ddr2 ram, so its faster.

1GB of ram really is plenty enough for most games. Supreme commander only recieved one from frame at 1600x1200 with 2GB. 37 with 1...38 with 2.

I would say get a Dual Core X2 3600 and then one gb and upgrade later...this will yield the highest performance.

Why go with a single core though when the X2 3600 is actually cheaper in OEM?

Please do not get a single Athlon anymore unless you find some crazy deal as Dual-core prices on the X2's have dropped IMMENSELY and are much faster than a single in multi-tasking and such. As I have stated if you cant fit an X2 3600 and 2GB of cheap G.Skill ram then just get one gig...but ram prices ahve also dropped.

Please tell me your budget and if you will be overclocking or not and I will see what you should get.

Thanks for the advice... sounds like dual core with 1GB is probably the best option.

My first thought was that RAM is more important... but I didn't know that after 1GB the improvement from extra RAM is relatively small (so it's nothing like the big difference going from 512MB to 1GB).

Also I wasn't sure how much of "dual core" was just marketing hype, like the Pentium Pro, Hyper Threading, and all this other stuff that made a microscopic different but was advertised like some huge breakthrough. But the more I read about this, it seems like dual core is actually kind of a big deal, so that's good.

Yes the increase from 1gb to 2 is NOTHING compared to 512 to 1gb.

The Dual-Core is NOT just hype as it is awesome however the Quad-core is quite the hype still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom