Athlon 64 vs P4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
I have two computers, one with an Athlon 64 3000+, and one with a P4 HT 2.6ghz. I'm trying to decide which one to get rid of. Which of the two will be faster? I do a lot of multi-tasking, so I've been thinking the P4 would be better, but then again I do a lot of single-processor intensive things too.

Also: how much would my performance improve to upgrade to a 4000+ or a 3700+?

Dan

I'd say get rid of the P4...the 3000+ can perform as well if not better then that P4. Also instead of getting a 4000+ or a 3700+, you might wanna think of getting a dual core like the X2 3800+.

I'd say keep the AMD setup and upgrade it, The single core AMDs are dirt cheap now.

unless the motherboard is s754 which i'm guessing it isn't because i don't recall there being a 3700+ on s754 then it should pretty much be compatable with the X2........unless it is from a poor manufacturer that doesn't supply BIOS updates. one of the key features of the X2 is that it was designed to be almost universally compatable with s939 motherboards

edit: i also agree that you would be better off with a 3000+ athlon than a 2.6ghz P4

im kinda confused about u saying u cant use X2s
but ****, go for the dam AMD processor, smash intel anyday

then theres conroe
smash AMD anyday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom