Athlon 2600+ (thoroughbred) vs. Sempron 3000 Both Socket A

Status
Not open for further replies.
FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
that's not true apokalipse. The 'p ratings' you're talking about don't work like that. The sempron's rating is comparable to a celeron clock speed. An Athlon's rating is comparable to a P4's clock speed.

Ryan
no, they're not compared to Celerons. they're compared to other AMD processors
it just also roughly works against Pentium 4's of the same frequency in MHZ as the AMD's P-rating.

the Semprons have lower cache and bus speeds, but higher core speeds. it equalises out.

trust me, a Sempron 3000+ = Athlon XP 3000+ = Athlon 64 3000+

apokalipse said:
no, they're not compared to Celerons. they're compared to other AMD processors
it just also roughly works against Pentium 4's of the same frequency in MHZ as the AMD's P-rating.

the Semprons have lower cache and bus speeds, but higher core speeds. it equalises out.

trust me, a Sempron 3000+ = Athlon XP 3000+ = Athlon 64 3000+

dude but they don't get the same performance. Why do you think the athlon's cost more i think if it was a scam people would of found out by now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103509

look there is an athlon xp 2800. It has 333mhz fsb and 512Kb L2 cache. It runs at 2.083ghz

My sempron 2800+ is sokcet A also and it runs at 2.0ghz stock. It has 333mhz fsb and 256kb L2 cache.

The athlon has a higher clock speed and more L2 cache so how are you going to say that a sempron is going to have the same performance.

The semprons are crippled athlon's so i am POSOTIVE that they won't perform as well as the athlons.:angry:

because the difference is negligible. the P-rating gives a rough performance. not exact.
you're looking at a 256k cache difference, which will hardly make any difference unless you are really pushing your CPU.
the clock speed difference is also slight. less than 0.1GHZ.
the difference this would make is maybe 2% on average
it's not enough to merit a lower P-rating, or it would be something like 2980+

plus, it is a little bit different in architecture. the Sempron may be more efficient.

I was comparing it to an Athlon 64 actually. the Athlon 64 has a higher bus and cache level, but a lower clock speed.

the Athlon XP will be slightly faster, but you can't really call it a significant difference

I'm sorry, but that just isn't the case. Semprons are nothing but crippled Athlons. They hack off half of the L2 cache. So I'm sitting here on newegg reading stats of these 2 different processors. I'm comparing socket 754 semprons and Athlon 64's since they're both available on that socket.

Athlon 64 3000+ (newcastle) 1.8ghz 512kb L2 cache
- and for a second reference
Athlon 64 3000+ (venice) 2.0ghz 512kb L2 cache

And for the opposition

Sempron 64 3000+ (Palermo) 1.6ghz 128mb L2 cache

Actually, in this case, the Palermo has 1/4 of the L2 cache of both Athlon 64's. The clock speed is lower too. Since Semprons are crippled versions of Athlons, there is no way in heck that they could perfrom comparably.

Sempron's ratings are designed to compete against a Celeron processor. That's the way it's always been. Athlon competes againt Pentium, and Sempron competes against Celeron.

Ryan

People, Thank you all very much for your replies, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to start an argument! Let me explain...

The only thing I do on my PC that stretches any part of it's hardware is (as i suspect it is with many users) playing games. I have a 4x20 LCD screen modded into the front of my case, and using LCD Smartie I can see that, when playing said games (BF2 + CoD2 mainly) my CPU is at 100% workload all the time. I just wanted a cheap upgrade to keep the cpu working at 100%, but up my framerate!! (which, incidentally, is around 20-30fps. Is this about right with my graphics card (9800pro)?)

Phew!

Thanks guys

B0dge

with that graphics card, yeah, it's about right. You could put an aftermarket heatsink on the sucker and overclock it a little bit. It'll help you get the framerate up a little to where it doesn't bother you as much.

Ryan

with that graphics card, yeah, it's about right. You could put an aftermarket heatsink on the sucker and overclock it a little bit. It'll help you get the framerate up a little to where it doesn't bother you as much.

Ryan,

It's got an arctic cooler and it's o/c'd to 420/390!
I think i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade the mobo, cpu and gfx card. What do ya think, a 256mb 6600gt or an x800?

PS. Do you play BF2? If so, is your x600 ok with it? could I get away with an x700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom