Asus P4V8X-MX Very Slow - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Asus P4V8X-MX Very Slow

I've got a brand new Asus P4V8X-MX motherboard with 512 MB of Asus-qualified Kingston DDR400 RAM, Western Digital SATA hard drive, and a Celeron 2.53 GHz processor. It has a clean installation of Win XP Home SP2 and the latest BIOS and drivers installed.

The problem I'm having is that it runs very slowly, particularly when loading web pages. I've tried using an ATA/100 hard drive instead of the SATA, I've tried different RAM, and I've even tried a new 10/100 NIC. Still, I'm finding that web-surfing is faster with my old 600 MHz Celeron PC than it is with this new one. I suspect a faulty motherboard and wanted to know two things:

1) Has anyone else out there had problems with this board or heard of problems with this board?

2) Is there anything else I could do to try to resolve this issue?

I'd like to fix it, because I feel like returning it would be very difficult since my only complaint is that it's "too slow".

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Can you give us some details about the network on which the computer is on? Topology, number of hosts, speed & type of internet connection, type of router, the model number & firmware version.

It could be that the old PC has pages in cache, and doesn't need as much time to load the page because of that.

Additionally, when you say they 'load slow', can you give us an example? How long (seconds) would you say it takes to load the google homepage? Same question regarding the homepage?

Gaming Laptop: - ASUS K501LX-EB71 - Stock (Wife's) - Gateway P-6860FX - Stock (Mine)
General Laptop: - Sony Vaio SVE141D1L - Stock (Mine)
Gaming Rig: BACK ONLINE!! ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell (Stock Cooling), HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It's a very simple home network, 2 PCs on a Linksys router, connected to a cable modem. Connecting the PC directly to the modem gives me no improvement.

I don't think it has anything to do with the caching of internet files simply because the situation does not improve after returning to previously viewed pages, and also because I've built dozens of new machines before and have not run into this problem.

It may take anywhere from 5-10 seconds after clicking on internet explorer before the simple google homepage is up. Half of this seems to be the browser loading slowly, half of it seems to be the page loading slowly. Once in IE, the pages do seem to load slightly faster, but not considerably. One other issue seems to be that I frequently have to click two or three times on a link before it actually opens.

Keep in mind that there is NO other software installed on this machine yet, just Windows and its updates.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The speed of the cable connection is 4 Mb/s. The router is irrelevent since the problem exists connected directly to the modem. The tech forum web page took about 8 seconds to load from an already open browser window. My 600 MHz Celeron PC had it loaded in less than 3 seconds. My wireless laptop did it in 4 seconds.

Not only do web pages load slowly, there can actually be a 2-3 second wait time after pressing enter in the address bar before the page actually begins to load.
Closed Thread