Asus P4V8X-MX Very Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

genistas

Baseband Member
Hi,

I've got a brand new Asus P4V8X-MX motherboard with 512 MB of Asus-qualified Kingston DDR400 RAM, Western Digital SATA hard drive, and a Celeron 2.53 GHz processor. It has a clean installation of Win XP Home SP2 and the latest BIOS and drivers installed.

The problem I'm having is that it runs very slowly, particularly when loading web pages. I've tried using an ATA/100 hard drive instead of the SATA, I've tried different RAM, and I've even tried a new 10/100 NIC. Still, I'm finding that web-surfing is faster with my old 600 MHz Celeron PC than it is with this new one. I suspect a faulty motherboard and wanted to know two things:

1) Has anyone else out there had problems with this board or heard of problems with this board?

2) Is there anything else I could do to try to resolve this issue?

I'd like to fix it, because I feel like returning it would be very difficult since my only complaint is that it's "too slow".

Thanks for your input!

-Dan

Can you give us some details about the network on which the computer is on? Topology, number of hosts, speed & type of internet connection, type of router, the model number & firmware version.

It could be that the old PC has pages in cache, and doesn't need as much time to load the page because of that.

Additionally, when you say they 'load slow', can you give us an example? How long (seconds) would you say it takes to load the google homepage? Same question regarding the techist.com homepage?

It's a very simple home network, 2 PCs on a Linksys router, connected to a cable modem. Connecting the PC directly to the modem gives me no improvement.

I don't think it has anything to do with the caching of internet files simply because the situation does not improve after returning to previously viewed pages, and also because I've built dozens of new machines before and have not run into this problem.

It may take anywhere from 5-10 seconds after clicking on internet explorer before the simple google homepage is up. Half of this seems to be the browser loading slowly, half of it seems to be the page loading slowly. Once in IE, the pages do seem to load slightly faster, but not considerably. One other issue seems to be that I frequently have to click two or three times on a link before it actually opens.

Keep in mind that there is NO other software installed on this machine yet, just Windows and its updates.

Thanks!

The speed of the cable connection is 4 Mb/s. The router is irrelevent since the problem exists connected directly to the modem. The tech forum web page took about 8 seconds to load from an already open browser window. My 600 MHz Celeron PC had it loaded in less than 3 seconds. My wireless laptop did it in 4 seconds.

Not only do web pages load slowly, there can actually be a 2-3 second wait time after pressing enter in the address bar before the page actually begins to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom