Applying New Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
I am getting a new motherboard so I am going to apply new thermal paste to my CPU. My friend gave me this thermal paste, not sure what it was. Can I use any thermal paste or are some just bad? Also how much should I add? And how do I remove the old thermal paste (finger, special cloth, how do I know if it's all gone, etc)? I have never applyed this stuff so I want to make sure to do it right. Thanks in advance.

as far as good thermal paste, Arctic silver is definitly the best by far, adn Zalman makes a pretty good one..

to put it on you only need a drop the size of a large grain of rice, use somethign flat, (like the side of the little plastic casing it comes in) and spread it evenly over the surface.

old thermal paste can be removed with rubbing alcohol (80% or there-about). I usually pour some in a small paper cup, and use a q tip. I dip the qtip in the cup, adn then whipe the old paste off....

Usually what I do, is put a little more than a grain of rice on, and put your finger in one of those little plastic sandwitch baggies, and spread it around with your finger. The reason for having a little more than what Toxic reccommended is that a bit of the thermal paste will always be stuck to the plastic bag.

Thanks guys. If I accidently add too much or too little what could happen? Could it fry my CPU if I have too little, or not work at all with too much?

No you won't fry your CPU. Too much or too little thermal paste will cause poor contact between the cpu and the heatsink, and result in higher temps.

Yeah, applying thermal paste isn't usually a hit or miss. Your temps might go up 3 or 4 degrees if you have too much or too little, depending on how much you put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom